"premature" rear wheel bearing issues

yorkshire_spam

Hi All,
I've just stripped down my NSR axle and found the larger outer bearing (GHB117/LJ1/RLS a bit "notchy"
It's also clear form the grease (colour and smell!) that it's been getting hot.
Plenty of grease in the assembly and no obvious signs of muck getting in or anything like that.
Obviously I'll replace the bearings, but I'm wondering why it's got like this, any ideas?
It's a good quality RHP bearing that's done about 8K miles.

Have I hit a pot-hole too hard? Could suspension/upright wear be an issue? Something with the diff amiss? Or "just one of those things" ?

Thoughts?
Cheers, Sam

Quoted from yorkshire_spam
Hi All,
I've just stripped down my NSR axle and found the larger outer bearing (GHB117/LJ1/RLS a bit "notchy"
It's also clear form the grease (colour and smell!) that it's been getting hot.
Plenty of grease in the assembly and no obvious signs of muck getting in or anything like that.
Obviously I'll replace the bearings, but I'm wondering why it's got like this, any ideas?
It's a good quality RHP bearing that's done about 8K miles.

Have I hit a pot-hole too hard? Could suspension/upright wear be an issue? Something with the diff amiss? Or "just one of those things" ?

Thoughts?
Cheers, Sam

Four/rear wheel alignment......not running square/off track?
Will be in touch today

I'm running 5.5J x 13" JBW Minilight so they are wider than most standard, but the offset should be similar. I'm going to crack open the OS and see what they are like. If both sides are not right then I suspect it's not a "one off bad bearing".

Don't get me wrong, the estimated 8K miles haven't been all easy pottering around, that's 2x10CR and an RBRR on those bearings. I just wouldn't expect RHP bearings to fail in that time without some outside influence.