Fibreglass Valance

RobPearce

Has anyone here fitted a fibreglass front valance to a Vitesse?

My metal one is totally rotten, so while doing some work on the bonnet I bought a GRP replacement from Canley. They list the same part for 13/60 and Vitesse, although the metal ones are different. Having cut out the bits for the overriders, so that it will fit past the chassis brackets, it goes most of the way but will not fit because it fouls on the radiator.

I've had a car with one of these GRP valances in the past but it was a 13/60, where the radiator is much higher up and further back. I can certainly envisage this new valance fitting a 13/60 without any problem but I bought it for a Vitesse and there's no way it fits at the moment.

Any words of wisdom from experienced people?

• 5 months later...

You never had an answer, Rob, so I hope this is not too late.

TRiumph had to cram the six into the Vitesse. and tha menat mounting the radiator further forward.   The middle of the front valance, then gained a recess to give the rad clearance.    They pressed special ones for the Vit, with a lip for strength, but "copies" sold for both Herals and Vitesse were taken from a Herald.     You need to cut out the recess.      Unless you get clever with the GRP this measn removing the lip, but the valance is supported on either side and needs little strength just there.

I'd post a pic for you, but despite the alleged improvement in the CT forum, the method of doing so is gobbledegook!    

John

Thanks, John. I'm well aware of the space issue and that the Vitesse valance was made to suit - but that was well before the 13/60. I would have thought they could have carried the Vitesse part across to the 13/60, which is definitely different to the 1200 valance anyway, but clearly they didn't. The recess (behind the number plate) is there in the GRP one, it's just not nearly deep enough. I may have a go at "getting clever with the GRP" because I'd feel happier with something protecting the bottom of the radiator from stone chips, even if it's minimal protection.