Northern Dales Trophy

Stuart Wilson

Some people may be interested in this new event Hexham motor club are putting on in November. I'm sure it will be a fun day out. Below is taken from the email I received and the regs and entry form should be attached

"After several years of searching I am delighted to inform members that at long last, a venue has been secured for an  off road event and the Northern Dales Classic Trophy will take place on November 20th at Eastgate Cement Works in Weardale, this venue will be familiar to anyone who has previously marshalled on one of the big classic rallies such as Rally of the Tests, Flying Scotsman or Le Jog. The date isn’t ideal it would have been preferable to run earlier in the year but negotiations have been long and difficult, however, if all goes well, we hope to run another event at this venue in June or July 2017.

The format will be similar to a NESCRO or Targa rally and will, if all goes to schedule, feature 4 tests run 4 times giving 16 tests in all, a packed days entertainment. There will be no road mileage whatsoever.  The entry will be limited to 40 to keep things moving and cut down on hanging about, so, the entry list is likely to fill up quickly, as the event is open to other clubs, NESCRO , SD34 etc , so early entry is strongly advised."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This event is coming back in 2017, the date for your diaries is July 23rd.

I understand it will be a very similar format to last year with a number of tests run a few times and also the possibility of a couple of the tests being joined together later in the day.

I'll keep updating as I get information

• 1 month later...

the following quote is from Ed Graham the person behind the event

"Northern Dales Classic Trophy

We are delighted to confirm that permission has been received to run the 2nd. Northern Dales Classic Trophy at Eastgate on July23rd. The event will be run entirely within the confines of the former Eastgate Cement Works complex and will feature some 20 tests, the vast majority of the mileage will be on sealed surfaces.

Regulations for this event will be available from mid June and, as it is a round of the NESCRO Challenge and Gates Tyre Northern Series, the entry is sure to fill rapidly so early entry is recommended."

I did it last time and it was a great event, no doubt it will be better this year as running in July rather than November. Be great to see some more Triumph cars out on the event, I'm sure you'll be made more than welcome. As most of you are based further down the country it could be a good excuse for a weekend away in the picturesque North East.

Further to Stuart's post Club Triumph are members of NESCRO as are the organising club on this event.

As our point of contact I have received the following. It sound absolutely fantastic

"NORTHERN DALES CLASSIC TROPHY  2017

Following the huge success of last year’s inaugural event, the Northern Dales Classic Trophy will run again this year with the event moving from November to a more sociable date ( we Hope ! ) of July 23rd when once again, we’ll all trek over to Eastgate in Weardale and spend a day tearing round the former cement works complex which proved  to be such a great venue. For 2017 we will have enhanced classes for both Historic and Targa cars, it will essentially be two events in one with both Historic and modern getting their own dedicated awards.

These test type or “Targa” events are getting ever more popular, both with historic and modern cars, and they are a great way to enjoy a relatively cheap days motorsport while still having a good thrash. Indeed, many of the cars used are very much “Budget” models, one guy doing last year’s Northern Dales had picked his car up on E-bay for £300. Chuck in the fact that there isn’t any road mileage, well, not on our event, you don’t need a super qualified navigator and it all adds up to an “Easy to enter” type of event that can be enjoyed by everybody.

This year, we will follow the same format as in 2106 although we may tweak the tests a bit and we hope to increase the number to 20 as we will have extended hours of daylight to play with. We may also change the tests after a couple of runs, those who done the 2016 event will remember we just ran the same four tests four times but that had a lot to do with the fact we needed to get the event run and the place cleared  before it got dark !  This time we may either alter some of the tests or indeed reverse them at halfway, a lot will depend on how the event keeps to schedule.

One thing we will try to do is cut out the odd bits that cut up, although the event was almost entirely on hard cement, there were one or two soft spots and, because the weather had been wet ( and snowy )  in the weeks leading up to the event, they tended to dig up badly, we’ll avoid them this time.

Prospective entrants will be delighted to hear that we have got the  services of Julies pantry again so everybody will be well fed, they have promised to be on site and ready for anyone requiring breakfast and we are negotiating for them to provide an expanded menu this year. Also on site will be the  toilets, no need to sneak off to the bushes, Castlewood Hire will be providing their state of the art portaloos.............such comfort !!!.

Regulations for the 2016 Northern Dales Classic Trophy will be available early June, judging by the feedback we have received there is sure to be a high demand for entries so club members intending to enter are advised to do so early !."

• 1 month later...

Ok folks the regulations and entry form should be in this post. As Club Triumph is a member of NESCRO there should be no need to join Hexham Motor Club, but of course if you do wish to join that will not be a problem.

Be good to see more than just my triumph on the entry list

• 2 weeks later...

Entries are starting to come in for this fun event, I'm doing it in my  Sprint engine TR7. Be great to see some more Triumphs out doing it, like I said in my earlier post make a weekend of it and visit the beautiful North East countryside on the Saturday then have a little competitive fun on the Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a good day on the Northern Dales, as of yet not sure where we finished as didn't stay fro the results as it was absolutely pouring down. We'll not have done brilliantly as we got at least two wrong tests, but we still finished smiling and laughing. It certainly got slippy when the rain came mid afternoon.