Cylinder head and a little weeping

mazfg

My car is running well still after the head gasket replacement. I have noticed a little oil the  spark plug side at the left and right corners of the head to block....is this normal, or do i need to re-torque. Done about 200 miles in it since.

its Ok to re check the torque,  but you cant keep doing it or you collapse the shim gasket, as the 1600 is a steel shim gasket I remember we talked about the need to apply sealant all over it,  I sure you did that,
on the composite copper ones its common to leak and a smear around the rocker feed was normal.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Yep, I applied Stag Wellseal over both sides of the gasket, not a huge amount but thevsame amount as I would with any gasket ssealer. I'll torque up again at 500 miles.
My gasket wad steel coloured. Could I have not put enough sealant on?

So you say the other type do leak, should I have no leaks?

there's a saying if it aint leaking it aint a triumph.

its common to seap from the rear n/s corner where the rocker feed goes ,  
we spoke about wellseal  its good stuff used by many.

I think the MK2 had the improved head porting, 7/16" studs to help with whats called panting , where the compressions move /shuffle the heads about,  

seapage along the sides is only oil draining from the tappet chest , or the pushrod tubes ,  any leak can be a messy problem but its not detrimental to the engine, just unsightly, if its pouring out there's something silly going on and that would need a resolve.

Pete

Haha, I've heard that saying, many a time on here. Think someone even quoted a factory line about "
Standard Triumph did quote 600 miles to the pint for the 1600 Vitesse back in the 1960,s.", not sure if that's burning oil or leaking oil  ;D

The pushrod tubes are sealed ok, it's just a little seepage around the rear and front near side....but nothing silly  :)

the only pressured leak is the rear n/s corner which is the interupted supply from the rear cam journal so even thats at lower  pressure.
leaks down the side is just from retuning oils from the rockers and possibly a little splash from the cam up through the camfollower  chest porting,  I  have seen the side face sealed with a bead of silicone gasket to reduce the seapage by piping it into the joint and wiping tidy..    just an idea   Pete

Thanks, Pete, will keep it monitored.

I have to say that since I replaced my cam followers and got a good used replacement cam, the engine is so much more quiet, no tapping/ clackety clack  like it used to do. Am very pleased with that  :)