dolly clutch master cylinder (the sequel)

benja

Having replaced my master cylinder with the landrover part, the bite had been running quite low and eventually gave out totally, I took the car back to the guy who put it on for me (as I thought he was to blame) he told me that the difference in output bores had caused too much pressure on the push rod and it had bent. Im just checking that this is a likely outcome.

Now Im going to order a more car specific part and fit it myself. I assume its not too difficult a job?

also wondering if anyone has a spare metal master to slave pipe as he cut mine up while bodging!

any advice/comment is welcome.

Ben

I would say VERY unlikely.
More likely (but still not very) is that you have been stamping very hard on the clutch pedal, and pushing it way further than needed. Thiscould damage the clutch cover. Again, from what you have said it is unlikely. The difference in bore size is not huge, you should feel the pedal is a little harder to depress, but you shouldn't have to press it as far.
Your comment about bodging the metal pipe speaks volumes...
BTW it is just a bit of brake pipe. Measure it and a local car bits supplier (but not halfords etc) will be able to make one up for a few pounds. If local I could do it. In fact if you give me the length, I could still make one up and post it.

The clutch problem actually sounds a bit like the clutch pivot pin has fallen out. Not uncommon on these gearboxes. Do a search, the symptoms fit. Sort of.

Thats what I thought about the pedal action when I first bought the part but it was never like that, the bite was right at the bottom of the travel and even then somtimes needed a few pumps to engage. which pivot pin do you mean? also I fogot to mention that after failing totally i bled it and it worked for several minutes before failing again. this doesnt seem to fit with his diagnostic. but does suggest a problem with the hydraulics rather than the clutch itself (there is fluid in the system but I think air is getting in somhow) Thanks for the pipe bending offer, I suppose i was just getting lazy and also wanted to make sure it was made from the right material, Im really bored of my clutch not working.

thanks

i'd second what clive says.  if the master is slightly bigger then it would move the slave more for any given pedal travel.
assuming the pushrod wasnt bent to start with then i would say the only way for it to get bent would be another problem with the clutch arm,prob the pivot coming out.
that way the slave pushrod will be able hit the bellhousing i think without operating the clutch,hence a low pedal.

you should be able to check the pin without removing the box i think.

craig

Right, Ive just got it back from the garage, he put an old one on so I could get it home, the clutch still somtimes needs pumping although the pedal action feels constant. it does engage better than before he showed me the old one and the pushrod had bent by about 20 - 30 degrees! this caused the circlip to come out and so air was getting into the system. he seems to think that i just need a new master and everything will be fine, he totally blames the landrover part which was a 1/4 main bore and a smaller output bore apparently. after reading the above I'm not so sure. ive tried removing the tunnel before and its quite gummed up with somthing. will be an irritating job, does it all still sound like the pin?

Ive taken a pic of where the pin should be, is it an interfearance fit with the visible bore? because about 10mm down the bore stops and theres no play or space down the edges of the blockage. alternativly ive just taked a photo of an unimportant feature of the casting!

Archived