Tuning Strombergs??

nick69

Guys,
Im having real trouble here. Im trying to tune the CD150 strombergs on my gt6 at the moment. So far ive got it so the car idles at  900-1000rpm which to me is a bit fast. At random intervals fuel will come out of the float chamber vent holes, well actually only the right hand one. It happens more when the car gets close to normal idle speeds.
I replaced the O rings on the jet assembly, new diaphragms, new needle valves.
Ive tried turning the distributor and it just made the idle VERY rough going either way.
So at the moment the car runs a bit rough, uses a lot of fuel, at an idle speed of 900-1000rpm and the throttle response is pretty poor too.

The reason for doing this was because the car ran fast and very rich and used £10 of fuel in just 25 miles. There are no leaks from anywhere btw.

Please someone help me with this as im stuck trying to sort a problem I have NO IDEA how to fix. :(

Thanks as always
Nick

Ive read the manual over and over and it seams to be written in some form of language i dont understand!!!

[quote by=nick69 link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1181401720,s=0 date=1181401720] At random intervals fuel will come out of the float chamber vent holes
[/quote]

This sounds like the needle valve sticking open. If its anything like an SU needle valve even new ones can stick, I gently sanded the sides of mine to allow them to move freely.

I assume you have a fuel filter?

Well im going to have to take them both off the car tmw and start again and see what happens.

Does anyone know of someone /where I can get the car tuned in the Southwest? Im located In Wiltshire btw.
If I can only get it running without fuel going everywhere ill take it to someone for the final/proper tuning because I cant do it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttt!

Fuel leakage is certainly float level adjustment.

They each have a tab on, the tab lifts the needle to release the fuel.

The valve should be fully down until the float is about 1 thou(!!) from being at the top of its travel.

Common trouble with strombs!

In my experience once you start having trouble with strombergs "especially old ones" the best thing you can do with them is remove them and drop them in the nearest dustbin and try and source a new pair,

There are plenty of "new" old stock carbs around if you look, you could try contacting Nigel (the carb man) I bought a new pair of him for 45 pounds and never looked back,

He has a shop on ebay! could be worth a try.......David 

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/N-J-WIILLIAMS-CLASSICS 

[quote by=David6958 link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1181401720,s=10 date=1181431774]In my experience once you start having trouble with strombergs "especially old ones" the best thing you can do with them is remove them and drop them in the nearest dustbin and try and source a new pair,  [/quote]

Excuse my french, but that is ballcocks!

A rebuild is simple as pie if it come to that, but new diaphragms/valves/floats solve most things.

I have put new diaphragms, needle valves, o rings and gaskets in.

The floats have just been tested and they are fine. The needle valve is sitting and working fine. The car runs now but after sitting for 1 min without choke the fuel still comes out of the Float chamber vent holes????

Also could the fuel be coming out due to the car not being taken for a run??
All the adjustment has been done by start/stop on the drive!!
I just took the car down the road and the fuel hasnt leaked at all!!!!

Man I wish I knew what I was doing!! LOL

Archived