Alex

In amongst the parts that came with my car are a pair of strombergs.
However the engine I've just fitted has strombergs fitted and they dont look the same.
The spare set have what I can only assume is a rod operated throttle and a brass nut on the bottom of each.

I thought the saloon mk2 had strombergs then hs4 then hs6 so why are these different?

Thanks Alex

CD-150 has the knurled nut at the bottom to adjust mixture CDS-150 has the pressed in bottom on the resevoir and is adjusted through the top of the carb.

Early cars have the plastic U/J on the linkage, later ones have the spring clamps.

Early ones have a mechanical mechanism to lift the piston when the choke is actuated. Later ones have a unit on the side opening extra holes (jets).

Really later ones have the temperature compensator on the side (long plastic rectangular shape) CDSE-150.

Richard_B wrote:
CD-150 has the knurled nut at the bottom to adjust mixture CDS-150 has the pressed in bottom on the resevoir and is adjusted through the top of the carb.

the cd 150 and the cds 150 both have the brass nut underneath the carb to adjust the fuel mixture and have both got the brass throttle bar that links the two carbs together.
If the carb is a cds then it will have the cold start mechanism which is a small device on the side of the carb that the choke cable connects to.

the cds 175 carbs mixtures are adjusted via the top where the damper is using a special tool, hence having no nut underneath.

most of the carbs i have come accross though do have the stamp on the dashpot to say which version they are.

Im sure someone else can elaborate more on the differences,

hope this helps

CDS 150 should be through the top adjustment ... or is that only SE ?

CD175 Stromberg were used on TR6 for the US market. Potentially a better option than the HS6.

You should have a load of numbers on them, Alex. Get yourself onto http://www.burlen.co.uk/store.aspx

and find the car that matches the numbers ... probably best place to start will be the needles - they should have something stamped near the base of the needle.

S3173R is the number etched into the base of each carb however having looked on the burlen site they dont appear.
Closest I can find is S3172 which is a GT6 but theyre cd150 not 175.

Any more ideas?

Thanks Alex

The inlet manifold numbers match the early american numbers for the tr6,however the carb numbers do not?

I do possess a TR6 CR engine although this according to what I can find out would have been a PI engine so perhaps they are not connected....a coincidence? I've got a triumph 2000 with an old engine with it that happens to be a TR6 lump with TR6 carbs.
The tr6 engine was once fitted as it was on the v5, although the age of my car would not have seen it fitted with hs6's they are the only other carbs I was given.

A mystery indeed, I could speak to the guy I got the car from however I dont think he'd approve of my "modifications",and he also used to pay others to work on it.

.....What difference would it make if I could bolt the cd175's to a hs6 inlet manifold? Better or worse than hs6's or cd150's

Just wondering really?

Thanks Alex

Archived