I don't think the rear axle is the same on the 1850 and on the Sprint - can anyone confirm this?

I am asking to help out someone considering entering the  10CR - his thoughts are along the lines of an 1850 with a TR7 2 litre 8 valve engine ;D

No, the axles are different. The 1850 axle (I think it is the same as the 1500's) is bordering on marginal handling just the 1.85's torque.....if you run a TR7 engine through it, the axle will have a greatly reduced lifespan.

The Sprint axle is a tough beastie and good for 300lb/ft before the crown starts to break up and halfshafts twist (so I hear). Straight swap besides adding a brake bias valve, as far as I know :)

Definately go for the Sprint axle if your friend is going for the 7 lump (why not go the whole hog & fit a Sprint lump ?)

When I uprated the front brakes on my track Sprint I also removed the brake bias valve. Not so sure this will be a good idea if using standard front brakes although, on saying that, the Sprint rears aren't that brilliant.

Martin

Thanks for the advice chaps ;) I knew the gearboxes were different and thought that the axles were too.

He's not going to go for a sprint engine because he used to rally them with over 200BHP and he found them quite temperamental. Regular rebuilds are not on the agenda :-/

For the 10CR a good reliable engine without going overboard is just fine.

Thanks for the advice chaps ;) I knew the gearboxes were different and thought that the axles were too.

He's not going to go for a sprint engine because he used to rally them with over 200BHP and he found them quite temperamental. Regular rebuilds are not on the agenda :-/

For the 10CR a good reliable engine without going overboard is just fine.

Archived