how to identify sprint lsd axle?

TONYSPRINTER

Jack it up so both back wheels are off the ground, put it in gear so prop wont turn and see if you can turn any of the wheels by hand. If it isnt an LSD the opposite wheel will rotate in the opposite direction to the one your turning by hand.  If it is and LSD you wont be able to budge them.

Make sure the hand brakes off  :P

No, they should both rotate in the same direction if it's an LSD :) ...if one doesn't turn, or turns the other way, then it's a standard open differential.

I think also Sprint LSD equipped axles have an "S" stamped on the rear cover plate, although correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're looking for a cheaper LSD alternative, consider the 'Phantomgrip' option...I've never used one myself but I've heard several good reports about them and they should be able to set you up with something :)

Adam is correct - the car is in gear, so the propshaft cannot rotate, therefore once the limited amount of movement between the two wheels and any play in the propshaft and gearbox has been taken up, both rear wheels will be locked.

For a Standard Diff - with the car in gear, the opposite wheel will rotate in the opposite direction.  With the car out of gear, either the opposite wheel will rotate in the opposite direction or it will remain static and the propshaft will rotate - depends upon relative friction as to which happens.  Occasionally if the friction balance is correct and the car is out of gear you will get both wheels turning in the same direction and the propshaft rotating - just like an LSD when the car is out of gear.

For an LSD with the car out of gear, both wheels will rotate in the same direction and the propshaft will rotate.

Therefore the gauranteed way to distinguish between an LSD and a normal diff is to put the car in gear.

I did buy a Sprint that had a LSD fitted,
I went to look at it and checked the LSD by spinning the wheel and the other side spun the same way,
I bought the car with the intention of removing it to go in the V8,
Took the Rear cover off when I got it home it had a Standard Diff fitted.
Found the diff had been replaced and no freeplay anywhere.
I reshimmed and sold the car on,
Making a slight profit.
As before remove the rear cover it's the only safe way.

hehehe.  me again.

i agree... i think... with someone...

jack up back end, car out of gear, both wheels turn same way, should be LSD.

am I right in thinking there have been different LSD's available for dolly?  i.e. mod'd ford LSD, quaife, or is the quaife the mod'd ford one?

AAARGHHH! 

good for extra grip when pulling off from lights to destroy 'saxo boy', expensive way to achieve it though!  track use must be biggest benefit... 

Archived