Rear driveshafts

Doug Thompson

Mr Witor claims that the shaft and more often than not the hub itself will not be salvageable when this has happened.  I've never pulled one apart myself to see.  I also met someone who supplies reconditioned hubs who didn't seem to concerned about the state of the hub provide for exchange.  

Personally, I have fitted shafts in this condition to keep me going in an emergency and not noticed any nasty noises or movement - but I tend to believe Chris and would not spend any money trying to recondition a shaft where the shield does rotate.

Mr Witor claims that the shaft and more often than not the hub itself will not be salvageable when this has happened.  I've never pulled one apart myself to see.  I also met someone who supplies reconditioned hubs who didn't seem to concerned about the state of the hub provide for exchange.  

Personally, I have fitted shafts in this condition to keep me going in an emergency and not noticed any nasty noises or movement - but I tend to believe Chris and would not spend any money trying to recondition a shaft where the shield does rotate.

I applied a variant in that theory..

If the shield rotates, and teh 2 nuts are still locked together, bearing worn out.

I had a rotating shield, and unlocked nuts, so tweaked the inner nut tight, locked the outer one in place, and did the RBRR.

And 5k since.

Cheers

Colin

I've stripped and rebuilt several hubs, the spinning dust shield is usually a sign that the adjusting nut has been overtightened causing the inner race to turn on the stub axle, often this leads to a groove being worn, rendering the stub axle scrap.  Often mechanics just tighten the adjusting nut to remove any excessive end float without carefully checking it with a dial gauge, this may get the car through the MOT but is asking for trouble in the long run.

Archived