Hurricane 1600

So after 11 years of abuse on Sunday I killed the diff in the Hurricane

old one is a 3:89 from a spit 1500

The car currently runs a Ford block with about 160 bhp

what options are there out there for replacing/upgrading it (without loads of extra work)

thoughts and costs please - many thanks for the help

(also how do you post pictures now?)

If running std rear suspension, not a lot of options except to get an LSD fitted. 3.89 is spit mkIV/vitesse/GT6, 1500 use 3.63.

If you convert to CV rotoflex using the Nick Jones conversion, you can use a subaru diff. You need to make/source the conversion brackets, I thing an Australian is making kits. Then a shortened prop and of course a diff, the cheap bit about £100. Diff ratios 4.1, 3.9, 3.7 and 3.5 all available, in open and LSD. You won't break one very easily.

Re pictures, only members can post them on the new forum

Probably just stick a decent rebuilt Triumph diff in there.  Quaife LSD if you are feeling flush (will be £1k by the time it's all built).  Just to decide whether you want another 3.89 or to go to a 3.63 for slightly more relaxed cruise.

What actually broke?

Nick

That's the simplest option really, rather than having to source / adapt / cut / weld / pay lots of money - unless of course you like doing that and can do most of it yourself. 

One out, identical one in is my preferred and laziest option. Not really being an acceleration fan I kept the original non O/D diff when I converted the GT6 to O/D which gives a lovely low revving engine for long journeys; I tried a 3.63 Spitfire diff and hated it, but it all comes down to your own choice at the end.

Interesting, I destroyed several 3.27 diffs in my 2.5 vitesse, then fitted a 3.63 and had no further breakages. That diff went into my zetec spit, I fitted it ti the first one the Friday morning of the RBRR 2008, the car meeting its end 30 hours later. The diff went into the new car and when removed for a Subaru conversion was pulled apart, and checked over. All healthy, just new seals as a precaution.

I believe an LSD helps strengthen the diff up, but a std type diff built well should last unless you go to Santa Pod.

Interesting, I destroyed several 3.27 diffs in my 2.5 vitesse, then fitted a 3.63 and had no further breakages. That diff went into my zetec spit, I fitted it ti the first one the Friday morning of the RBRR 2008, the car meeting its end 30 hours later. The diff went into the new car and when removed for a Subaru conversion was pulled apart, and checked over. All healthy, just new seals as a precaution.

I believe an LSD helps strengthen the diff up, but a std type diff built well should last unless you go to Santa Pod.

Quoted from Hurricane 1500-

Thanks for the input - I'll think it through 

I assume you cant do the Subaru conversion without going to rotoflex

In theory you can do the Subaru diff conversion with swing axles but in practice it is hard as you need to find a pair of bolt in quarter shafts - which come from early versions of the R160 diff, typically Datsun 510 saloons and the like.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/lghrnrm/vitessemod.htm

Nick