temp control again

dazzer

Hi Darren, Im still fiddling with the cooling on my Vitesse (now theres no big problem Ive just become addicted!). Theres quite a big axial gap between the original waterpump rotor and the casing which Im trying to fill. It appears to be about 1mm and I cant decide whether to fit some sort of aluminium spacer disc or fill in with epoxy metal or both. Reckon it should give quite an improvement in pump performance without having to go to a fancy job like youve shown....

Yes I cant stretch to spending that much on my addiction! However the possibility of my spacer mod becoming detached and getting mashed up in the pump is worrying me and it may work out more expensive in the long run
I would love to be able to measure the flows produced by the different set ups as even the standard pump was good enough for the 150bhp TR6....

• 4 weeks later...

Long overdue update. I ended up doing several fettling jobs whilst replacing the water pump  but have now tested it and can report back.... i also replaced the rad at the same time which may have also had an effect. Basically it still cools down a little on a run at speed, but not to the same extent. It runs bang on half way on the gauge with reasonable toasty heating and about quarter on the run with the heater blowing warm. Outside temp is 2 degrees. So acceptable for a 2000 in my book. The new rad is a 52 row alloy two large cores deep whereas the previous rad was a square top upgraded 52 row 4 smaller cores deep.

One conclusion i have come to is that the standard water pumps are definitely aequate for the job. Ill comment again once ive thrashed it in the summer.

Cheers
Darren

Hi Darren, good to know about the standard pump nevertheless Ive tried to optimise mine by putting a layer of metal epoxy to reduce the clearance between the impeller and the back of the housing. Not sure what difference its made if any but at least now its the best it can be and then additionally Ive put a small valve in the hose that goes from the pump casing to the inlet manifold so that in hotter weather I can direct as much flow as possible to the rad.
I have another larger radiator available if needed but cant understand why you changed yours when it was already over cooling

Hi Glang

Thanks for updating on your cooling modifications as well.

I swapped the rad out for weight saving on the rally car. 4.6kg the new alloy rad, 10.1kg the old rad which is quite a lump in weight saving terms.

Alloy is technically not as efficient thermally  as copper so shouldnt be more effective than the old... fingers crossed

Cheers
Darren

ahhh ok yes there certainy is a big weight difference. Also its interesting that you have 52 rows while the Vitesse as standard has 30, my Civic rad 35 and the biggest that can be squeezed in only 42 so explaining why the available cooling is pretty limited...