Clutch adjustment rod

Andrew Bird

i am looking to re-fit my gearbox into my 1969 13/60 herald. this had been detatched prior to my purchase.

manuals show a clutch adjustment rod that is connected to 2 small brackets near the clutch slave cylinder. mine at presents does not have a clutch adjustment rod or show any signs of the fixing brackets.

was this omitted in the later models or would I need to source a replacement part for this

Not completely sure, I guess to remove freeplay in the pedal as the clutch wears possibly?  I'm not convinced that this would work as by definition, a hydraulic clutch is a self adjusting clutch, but maybe the train of thought was based around helping the return spring on the clutch pedal.  In any case, ST obviously realised the error of their ways because the clutch adjusting rod was engineered out of the design by 1962 or thereabouts.  My Italian mate who has a late (1964 built) 948cc Herald 'S' tells me that his car doesn't have this rod....  Perhaps late 948s didn't have it?

Bill, comments please....

Mark

The clutch adjustment was deleted during 1960, with no other apparent changes. I've noticed no difference in driving 948s with and without the adjuster, clutch seems to adjust itself just fine.

I'm intrigued by this 1964 Herald 'S'. They were nominally manufactured into the early part of 1964, but I've never seen one built any later than 1961. Even my 1963 registered 'S' sat unsold for at least 18 months before being registered, having been built in late 1961. There are still many differences between this and my other 'S', which is an early 1961 example, but I have to wonder how much of the late cars was built using Mk2 panelwork,

Cheers,
Bill.

This car is a MKll chassis LDL suffix, registered May 1964 in Milan, the restoration is nearly done.  I'll try and get some pics, my friend is a very wealthy and prominent Italian "celebrity" and guards his privacy carefully.  This car forms part of a very comprehensive and valuable private collection of cars of historical and personal importance to the owner.  It's restoration is expensive but of immense quality.  I am unsure of the build date, wrongly assumed it would be a '64 build.  Despite it's Italian "heritage", not many Heralds were sold in Italy compared to say Holland, West Germany or France. Then again, Italians are very patriotic with all things cars.

Mark

1218 wrote:
This car is a MKll chassis LDL suffix, registered May 1964 in Milan, the restoration is nearly done.

Sounds like a very odd combination of features.
The DL suffix (DeLuxe) wasn't used on the 'S', which was suffixed SP, the regular 948 Saloons carried no suffix at all.
Similarly, none of the parts list supplements, even those from late 1963, make mention of the Mk2 chassis ever being used. There is a suggestion that the bodyshell was commonised to the Mk2 tooling though.

Cheers,
Bill.

This is GA16005LCV, a "Personal Export Delivery" car bought new in England by an American serviceman and currently in Colorado (only the second owner, I believe):

Note the very "Courier" or "S" style of grille. There are other pictures of the car here:

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/ga16005.htm

There also were some "Export" 1200 models with a plain black dash rather than the wood facia -- a dash that looked much like the Courier or S dash. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of one of those handy.

I've seen that grille on other personal export cars, and I thought that the wooden
Facia was only on UK and North American Herald 1200s but I have seen them on French, German, Indian, Maltese and virtually every other spec 1200s with the exception of Greek, Australian and New Zealand spec 1200s.  I have also discovered that my mates S in Italy doesn't have an LDL chassis suffix.  That came from the spare bulkhead used in the restoration and conversion to left hand drive!  Not sure why he picked an S when as far as I know the S wasn't even produced as a left hand drive model.  Bill, can you clarify?

Mark

1218 wrote:
Not sure why he picked an S when as far as I know the S wasn't even produced as a left hand drive model.  Bill, can you clarify?

Once you're outside of the home market, it all becomes very vague!
I've seen the picture of that Colorado car with the 'S' grille previously, almost certainly via Andy. As far as i am aware the 'S' was available for export markets. Both of those I have encountered overseas are RHD examples though, one in Hong Kong, and another in Japan - the latter I believe was exported in fairly recent times though. Whether they made it to LHD markets is another matter, Nick Price is the only person I can think of whose research might have encountered specific examples from source material, rather than from personal observations.

Cheers,
Bill.

Archived