Richard B

The biting point on my daughters clutch in her Herald has gradually dropped over the last week. It is now undrivable. I know I wont know for certain until we pull the gearbox, but am I right in suspecting the pivot pin?

I would just like to stock up the suitable spares in advance.

Looking from the engine bay, it looks like someone has dropped a bolt into the pin hole; as I can see a bolt head protruding from the bell housing where the pin should be.

The other possibilty is a failing master or slave cylinder, or wear in any part of the mechanisms at either the pedal or clutch mechanism, particularly check the clevis pin where the pedal jons the master cylinder, could save you alot of work if the pin has simply worn through.

Could be a dodgy clutch cover, a while ago my herald clutch started feeling low, and once the gearbox was out the reason was a (probably cheap recon) clutch cover with not very springy "fingers". Replaced with a salvaged borg and beck from my spares cupboard and been fine ever since. Saying that it is bound to let me down tomorrow, just like that damn water pump.........
Cheers
Clive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived