Steve Cureton

I've just swapped my Herald gearbox (no synchro on 2nd) for a known good box. I was really pleased with myself as I manged to do the whiole job in under two hours. The smile was wiped off my face when I realised the clutch is almost solid and if I start the car and try to depress the clutch it makes a loud grinding noise. Now I know I've got to take the box back off (ggroan) but I can't imagine what the problem could be, any ideas?

I know the clutch is good as I've been using the car regularly, and the replacement gearbox was also in use by me until about a month ago so I know that is good too.

No, I left the clutch exactly as it was as it was working fine. I'll be taking the box back off soon and I expect the problem will become obvious. Just a bit baffling really as the box went on pretty easily once the shaft was aligned and required no undue force or anything. I can only imagine the thrust bearing has become dislodged somehow and the gringing noise is maybe the carrier pressing on the pressure plate. I'll let you know the outcome.

Diaphram clutch on both engines and everything looks okay from the outside. I'm only going to find out for sure when I remove the box but, as you say, it's bound to be something simple - says he hopefully :-)  It's not a daily runner so I'm no rush to sort it out, although some decent weather would help!

Well I've taken the gearbox back off and couldn't see anything wrong, the thrust bearing is rotating nicely and slides up & down the spline freely. I also stripped the clutch in case something had got behind the pressure plate - nothing! Put it back together and it's working perfectly!

I would have liked to have found out what caused the problem as I seem to be in the habit of swapping gearboxes and it would have been nice to know what to watch out for in future. Oh well, at least I'm mobile again.

Archived