Chris_Nobbs

i had the Sprint MOTd today needless to say i got a list back which i expected. however the tester found excessive movement up and down in the steering coloumn at the steering wheel and lower column end. can anyone suggest which / what joint /bearing may have given up or which steering column joints are prone to giving up causing this movement. help would be good if u please

thanks

You need to have an assistant pull/push the wheel while you look at the column. Basically though the joint above wherever the up/down movement stops is the faulty one but if it's just up/down as you say it's most likely to be a loose pinchbolt on the lower column coupling (FAM 1718) cos they're rubbish and you frequently find that they squish over time so the bolt comes loose.

Failing that if it stops inside the car it could be the column adjuster that's worn or needs a little 'shimming' on the pinchbolt there.

If it's neither of those or the intermediate shaft pinchbolt immediately engine side of bulkhead then you could be in for a rack, in which case good luck finding a good one!

Archived