Need advice on steering wheel for stag

Andrew Lacey

We need some advice, I dont know what people think but we having been looking for a new steering wheel for our stag. We are getting mixed messages from people we have spoke to. :-/

I have checked the price on mountney, moto lita, etc. I have been told that mountney are good value for money and would look good. Also that they are of poor quality and would not look right on a stag. Moto lita are quite exspensive also there is Momo. I have not seen  mountney steering wheels and have to rely on pics on the net.

so can anyone give me some advice because when we fit the new interior our steering wheel we have is going to stand out like a sore thumb. we cannot afford to buy a really expensive one unless people on here say moto lita are the best, then I will have to start saving (or find something else to sell on ebay to fund it)

Any advice welcome

Many Thanks

Tina

tina
the problem with most places is that they'll tell you you won't get a boss to fit a triumph unless you buy a mota lita or the old large centre mountney wheel. i've done some research, cos i was after a new wheel for my saloon. mountney used to manufacture a boss for their "M" series wheels to fit the saloon/stag range, i've got the part number somewhere.  the "M" series has the same small centre bolt circle as all of the modern type wheels, ie momo, ital volante, richfield, ripspeed etc, so the world's your oyster, once you've found someone with this part in stock!
i have also managed to track down  a stockist, he charges about £30 for the boss. send me a pm if you want and i'll dig out the details
dave

I went for a Moto lita. It was more expensive than some others, but had all the parts required, complete with a Triumph logo for the boss. It also feels really good, sturdy, solid but comfortable.

Also, the wife bought it for a Christmas present, so I didn't have to worry about the actual cost :)

I bought a Mountney wheel at Stoneleigh a few years ago.  I think I paid about £30 which included the boss, a Triumph centre badge and all the other bits.  There is also provision for a centre horn button but I haven't wired it up.

I like it because it is similar in style to the original but has a much thicker rim, and quality is fine.

I can get better photos if you wish.

Steve

Whats wrong with the original Stag steering wheel - they look OK to me.  Mark I is larger than Mk.II - too large I think.  2nd hand ones are easy to get and cheap.  Paddocks stock Moto lita ones including the conversion kit but thery are not cheap.

Thanks for all your advice, 
Johanne
there is nothing wrong with the original stag steering wheel, I think they look fine, it is  identical to the one we have in our sprint.  But ours is old and we have a new walnut centre piece to go on the steering wheel which came with the car. With that and a new interior I think a new steering wheel would look good. We do not mind if the steering wheel is not original as the interior is a bit different to the norm. We did ask paddocks the other day about steering wheels when we were ordering some more parts. I do agree moto lita are not cheap.

Steve
lovely looking stag, the steering wheel looks better than I thought they would, if you could email some better photos or put them on here that would be great. Andrew said that he would prefer a steering wheel with a thicker rim which yours has also it is similar in style. Many thanks for that :)

Dave,
Thanks for your advice, will send you PM tomorrow, if you can dig out the details of the stockist that would be helpful, we have seen mountney steering wheels on ebay for £36.95 which seems a good price. you can see where this is going cant you, we will have to go for the cheaper option but i think steves looks really good 8)

One more option Volospian got a moto lita for christmas, Andrew when you read this in the morning remember its my birthday in a few days ;)  forget the tanzinite ring, my stag is more important ;D

Tina,

I prefer the thickness of the after market to that of my original MkI wheel. I'm sure the MkI was stolen off some sort of agricultural machinery :)

It's about 16" diametre, as thick as my index finger and made of bakelite or something :(

The MotoLita is 13" (now I can release the clutch without cracking my knee on the wheel!) and the rim is at least an inch thick and covered in a nice padded leather.

The Mountney looks very similar in that picture to my MotoLita. The guy at MotoLita told me that their wheel was made out of one piece of steel with no welds or joins and as such it makes them very strong. He intimated that other manufacturers do not make theirs in the same way and that's why they're expensive. He was, of course, a salesman though ;)

P.S. Happy Birthday 8)

I have a Mountney 13" in my GT6, and put a 14" Moto-Lita in my 2500 when I had that ... fortunately I found a BMW Moto-lita for £35 at an autojumble, then changed the BMW boss for the right size for a nice Triumph one for £35, so £70 for a Moto-lita. The main difference with these aftermarket wheels for me is the extra room, I agree Volospian, especially in the GT6!!!

I would say that the Moto-lita was clearly of higher quality, the leather softer and nicer to hold, but if I was buying new I would definitely ask whether there was £100 difference between the two!!!

So if you spot a cheap secondhand moto-lita with a nice patina don't worry what boss it has, go to this website to order a suitable boss:
http://www.moto-lita.co.uk/index.html

Tina,

The TR Shop were flogging Mota-litas at Stoneleigh  for about £140 all in.
I have had one in my GT6 for 15 years and would not consider another wheel for the car, very nice- lasting well.
Remember that a few manufactuers have supplied these wheel as std. in the past.
Mountney are of poorer construction and to my mind so not look as good.
I will be getting a 15inch mota lita for my saloon.

Looks like Moto lita is the way to go, I would like something that is going to be more comfortable to hold. when we had our herald, we had a lovely wooden steering wheel but it was very thin and when at times driving long distances I did find it a bit uncomfortable. So I would like a steering wheel that is more comfortable to hold. I am still not ruling out a mountney at the moment.

I have been on ebay today and some- one is selling a steering wheel boss for a stag for £15.95 and £5.95 for P&P which I think is really good, so I have now been checking ebay for a moto lita or something similar. I can get a mountney for £36.96 dont know how much leather ones are. Hopefully will sort something out in a few days.

Dave,
Andrew went to a local motorist discount and saw the M series and they are going to be no good for our stag as the walnut centre piece we have is slightly bigger .

Cheers

Tina :)

hi tina, thats a shame. most of the modern wheels use this smaller centre; if you need the larger centre then you are really restricted to mountney and mota lita wheels. whilst there is nothing roung with mountney ( i have had quite a few) they do look cheap compared to mota lita, and the finish is nowhere near as good. the old style mountney wheels are definately "aftermarket" whereas some of the mota lita could be (and indeed were) manufacturers original equipment.
dave

We have deceided, You have convinced me, we are going to get a motolita for the stag 8) also Andrew, with all the talk about steering wheels has deceided to change the one on the sprint, but it will have to be a Mountney :)

I know there is alot of difference in price between the two, but we will be keeping the stag hopfeully for a very long time so it is best to get a decent steering wheel.  Tim has had his on his GT6 for 15years now and is still happy with it. There has been more positives for a Motolita than against apart from the cost.

Many Thanks for your help ;)

Tina

• 4 years later...

Hi Tina, long time no talk. Don't have a Stag any more although have had three in last 6 years. On my first one i fitted a Mota Lita and it both looked and felt great. I know I've come into this a bit late but you've made the right decision. I agree the originals look good too but i always thought looking at the dash through or past the Mota Lita looked great and almost meant to be. Did someone say it was your birthday - congratulations.

anthropoidape wrote:
So... what diameter wheel is right for a Stag then? Is 13" the way to go?

16" original on Mk1, reduced to 14" on Mk2.
13" feels good, but tends to obscure the upper minor gauges (Volts and Clock or Oil pressure) and the warning cluster. If you can cope with that (as I do) then go for 13". If this bothers you, then you will need a larger one  ;)

Archived