2 litre anti roll bar?

James

This afternoon I replaced the engine crossmember on my Mk1 with a 2500S antiroll bar one.

Now the problem is I did a straight swap. No spacers as the later 2.5 models should have.

I didn't have a drill with me and was stuck where I was - so decided to see how the mounts would fit without a spacer and without redrilling. Luckily I didn't have to use any brute force - and the engine mount holes lined up with only one side out by about 2mm or so.

There don't seem to be any clearance problems - I can fit my fingers between the sump and the steering rack.

The only problem so far is that the auto gearstick is slightly off - but that will be changing in a couple of weeks anyway.

Does anyone know if any 2 litre models had anti roll bars - and do I really need a spacer? I think the later Estates had them as standard?

If so - does anyone know what the thickness of the spacer is or have a spare?

So.... I'm safe without a spacer... there's easily enough clearance between rack and sump and the engine mountings don't look at all distorted to my eyes.

The holes are in a different place to move the engine over to allow more space for carbs? So I guess (pondering what the factory did) what did the 2000TC Estate have? (if such a model exists)

As that had ARB and needed extra space for it's HS6 carbs.

Just bear in mind that there are 3 different part nos for the engine crossmember on the 63-77 cars ....non anti-roll type/early a/roll type up to around 1974 then a TKC numbered type for HS6 carbed versoins requiring the engine to be moved half an inch over for carb clearance(note these also had 2spacers on the offside and none on the nearside)

James, I'm planning to fit a bar to the Mk2 but thought to make up some mounting brackets to fit to the original crossmember.  

Any chance of a couple of pics of the brackets, so I can see what I'm up against?  No rush as I'm still looking for arb suspension arms!

Cheers,

Mike!

A nice newly powder coated one will only cost you about £25 from Witor :) That's what I got.

I wish you'd asked before yesterday as I could have measured it all up off the car! I'll take some photos next time the car is in the air.

If you're going to make up some mounts - you can get DIY ones from Merlin Motorsport for much cheapness - but I'm not sure about the dia etc.

great, they don't look too complicated!   Got the bar, clamps and link ends, been promised a pair of suspension arms but nothing'e come up yet!  Just need to work out what's needed to attach to crossmember!

Thanks for that.

sallyann wrote:
...Only MK2 estates AND 2500S models had a anti-roll bar as standard...

Excellent! That just answered a question I have had for a while.

A friend insisted that they were standard on the 2000 MKII, which I knew they weren't as two cars I had a few years back never had one and nor does my son's.

Mine does have one but that doesn't mean it was fitted as standard. I guess it may have been added by the dealer or at any point in its life.

Quote:
what did the 2000TC Estate have? (if such a model exists)
No such beast, end of production there was 2000TC, 2500TC, 2.5S Saloon's and the 2.5S Estate, the Estate went up market. :)

Had an Sienna Brown H reg Mk II PI Estate without ARB (EGC 26H where are you now?). I think they were phased in during production?

Also they were part of the Police specification on Saloons.

Archived