Goody

I think they where used to secure the front of the Car when in transist on a Lorry Transporter or trailer?

I can't see any reason why normal 'U' bolts can't be used, they'll be fine, just make sure they are the same diameter and thread size

If your car has its original rear Boot outriggers there are two similar (one each side) brackets welded on, which I also think are for securing the rear of the Car when transported?

I thought they could have also been for towing, but I don't reckon the front ones would be strong enough?

Regards

Gary  

Goody wrote:
The two U bolts that hold the anti roll bar on have a what I call a Curley Q that points inward.  Is their a reason this was used and does it matter if one uses a regular U bolt?
If those originals "point inward," it's only because they are rather vulnerable to impact and have been bent.  ;)

heraldcoupe wrote:
The front mounts are simply U-bolts on home market cars, they have a loop on the export cars. Used for tieing down the cars when shipped overseas by boat,

Cheers,
Bill.

That would explain why my Vitesse had these anti-roll bar clamps fitted, it was an Home Delivery Export Model so would have been shipped to Germany via France presumably?

What about the loop brackets on the rear outriggers, where these only fitted on Export cars aswell Bill?

garyf wrote:
What about the loop brackets on the rear outriggers, where these only fitted on Export cars aswell Bill?

No, they were standard on all mk2 chassis'.
Omitting them would have meant a different chassis design between home and export markets, which is too much of a complication,

Cheers,
Bill.

As all of my Heralds have the rear loops, I had assumed they were for tie downs.  I admit I have used them when on the trailor.  I do not like the stress they put on the outriggers but have not found a better place to hook the straps.  I would prefer to use the rear crossmember but I think their is too much chance of crushing the brake line.  The front loops?  No way would I trust them to hold the car.  

Thanks for the replys.

Archived