Spitfire front shocks?

bangerman

Last year I bought a space frame Imp circuit race car that I rescued from a barn and I'm rebuilding. I identified through the type 12 calipers that it uses Spitfire front suspension (most of which is type 14 as it happens).

I visited Dave at the Spitfire Graveyard yesterday and with his help we identified what I had and what I needed. A more knowledgeable and helpful chap you would be hard pressed to find.

Unfortunately I completely forgot to show him the shock absorbers I had in the car boot too. I was hoping that they may be Spitfire as well.

They are Spax and have the following numbers stamped into them:

1) Off-side - SB 141X C52
2) Near-side - SB 141 H429

Spax themselves couldn't identify them because they told me the current Spax company is a new company using the Spax name but doesn't have any connection to the original Spax company and they don't have access to their old part numbers. Google brought up nothing and Demon Tweeks had no reference of them.

I have attached a photo with the tape measure showing the size. Please could you take a look and let me know whether these were likely to be Spax direct replacements for original Spitfire shocks so I know which replacements to buy?

Many thanks

Dave.

Hi Dave

From the spring foot plate (which is missing and you need btw) to the eye center looks to be approx 3" thats is correct for the stock spit spring/shocker.

So yes they look correct for a spitfire stock direct replacement.

If you plan on upgrading the springs (standard springs are rated at around 180Lb) the ride hight drops by about 2" or more.Stock springs are very soft and tall, for a front engined car, the rear engined Imp will be very light on the front so maybe a vist to an Imp forum will offer more info on spring ratings.

If buying new i strongly recommend fully adjustable IE height and strength....bit more expensive but covers all bases.

Spax part number : G761 - Fully adjustable   G210 - adjustable

Space frame, Imp back end and Spitfire Front end? Sounds very similar to a G15 to me under the skin... Just saying there are other cars out there that have the Spitfire front end without the weight of an engine over them. This could give you some guidance towards what springs would be good on the car.