dazzer

I'm trying to make up the two rockers that snapped on the 2000 MK1 and I've just noticed that the spares which I had lying around are slightly different in design.

They will work but just wondered when the designs changed etc, which are early or late and is there an advantage in using either?

The original rocker shaft off my early MK1 has plain pedestals marked stanpart 104831 (no supporting arms on the end pedestal) and the rockers have the oil feed drilled through underneath facing the adjuster/pushrod one of them is stamped RN28

The replacement rockers have come off a shaft with a pedestal with the extra end support arm and the rockers themselves have a smaller oil feed hole drilled directly from the top down, they are also slightly beefier and a little heavier.

The haynes manual seems to show both types of rocker assembly on different pages but with no explanation as to which is early or late?

Everything seems to interchange anyway... any rocker experts out there?

Cheers

Darren

I think the original rocker arms on a saloon engine would have been without the additional oil hole on the top.

Some places could supply original style rocker arms of one hand but only the repro type with the additional hole of the other hand.

Rather than faff around I bought the complete shaft and rocker kit from Rimmers, all rocker arms were the type with the extra hole.  This directs a tiny amount more oil to the tops of the valve stems but is probably good at reducing wear of the rocker and valve tips. At times, I now get a little exhaust smoke i.e. on a warm start due to the extra oil being directed to my 41 year old valve guides.................

Thank you Lord Sorb.

I further compared the 'early rockers' and they are lighter in construction in all respects, thinner profile and they weigh less.

I've decided to change them all for the later type as a belt and braces job.

Cheers

Darren

Archived