Jason

I'm kicking myself that I never stripped and assessed my stock of rockers as I've now ground to a halt on the rebuild!

What was on the car when I got it was Mk1 set - I think from a 2000 as they have the short adjusters. The shaft has the unsupported ends with end caps. The rockers have two oil holes, one directly on the top and t'other in the expected position just next to the adjuster. Having stripped it down it's not going back on. The shaft is scored badly and the surface is breaking up in parts. It's clean and clear inside though - you can see through it and the oil holes are all unblocked. The rockers are OK, some are a bit worn but nothing awful.

I had a spare set of Mk2 gear from my spare 2.5 engine, some of the rockers aren't great but I have a few spares so I can make up a set.

The thing is the rockers have only one oil hole next to adjuster - I didn't know there were more than one type - the twin oil hole ones seem lighter and thinner than the Mk2 ones.

Now for the trouble - the "spare" shaft is better but not great, it's also not completely hollow - it's not blocked, it's hollow and still have the oil holes and little dishes in the shaft like the Mk1 shaft.

So, I know Mk2 pedestals are the better as the end rockers are better supported BUT which rocker arms to use?

Also, if I use the 2 oil hole arms then I guess I need the matching totally hollow shaft to supply the right amount of oil.. Can you mix shafts??

Finally, it's obvious that both sets have been apart before, there seems no sense to the way they were put back together - springs washers and plain washers (and broken spring washers) and spacers all over the place! I've no reference to use to rebuild them (on a new shaft). All the pedestals look the same width (apart from the handed end caps only one of which has the oil hole) so where do the fat spacers go?

Grrr - workshop manual shows no spacers at all but then I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at!

Any help with a photo or description would be appreciated, I'll get a new shaft ordered Monday but I'd like to get the assemble put togther so I can at least know what I'm doing when the new one turns up. I'll get some pix up later.

On the plus side I've got the injection back on and timed up OK, wasn't as tricky as I thought it would be, well not when I realsied how it all went together and that I was assembling it 180 degrees out first time round!

J

Got the rocker shaft off the Pi at the moment. Was a bit 'tappetty' so I thought I would adjust them. So much hardened gunge on the whole assy that I took it off for a quick clean.

I have no reason to suspect it has ever been apart. Don't think the rocker cover had been off in 40 years either!

I can take a photo and count springs / spacers tomorrow for you.

It is the type with single holes by the rockers, and y-shaped end pedestals.

Cheers

Colin

Cheers Colin, that would help muchly - I think that's the later version you've got there - thought yours was a Mk1 so that wrecks my Mk1 / Mk2 theory. I know the Y shaped end pedestals were introduced to support the end rockers as there had been failures - the shaft/ end rocker breaks away!
I've figured out, through trial and error, where the spacers etc go but as I've got so many variations it's hard to tell whether I'm right. I'm working on the assumption that as long as the rocker tip is in full contact with the valve top then I'm OK.
The manuals and Canleys site aren't much use as they all seem to refer to the non-Y pedestal types, I've even resorted to Mr Haynes but no luck :-(

Any views on solid rocker spacers people?

J

Order from bulkhead to radiator

End of pedestal
springy washer
rocker
other half of pedestal
rocker
long spring
rocker
spacer
pedestal
rocker
long spring
rocker
pedestal
spacer
rocker
long spring
rocker
spacer
pedestal
rocker
long spring
rocker
pedestal
spacer
rocker
long spring
rocker
pedestal
rocker
spring waher
pedestal
split pin

picture attached.

Hi res version emailled to you.

Cheers

Colin

Jase,

As you know I have been experiencing rocker problems , hopefully sorted now.

I had a major problem with the pushrods rubing on the side of the holes that they pass through, this was alleviated by the use of TT shims, I also fitted solid spacers- much better that the springs.

BTW I got a sales catalogue from Rimmers yesterday- they are selling a Rocker gear overhaul kit for £79.95 incl. VAT. 12 rockers, 1 shaft, 5 springs and 2 end plugs. Seems a good price. Rimmer part no. RR1312

They are also knocking out Hi-Torque starters at £134.95 inc. VAT, Mk1 2000 cranks- new at £50.

Thanks for that Colin - so you have no thin washers anywhere in your set-up then, interesting. The rocker arms butt straight up to the pedestals or spacers and straight up the springs too. Your engine doesn't look like it's been apart, every :-)

Tim, where did you get your solid spacer set from? For once that seesm like a good price from Rimmers - are they recon or new rockers?

[quote by=Jason link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1172941430,s=6 date=1173025219] Your engine doesn't look like it's been apart, every :-)

[/quote]

And that picture is after I gave it a damn good clean.

The shaft would not com apart at all, so I left it assembled.

Car has 105k on it, not sure how many services it had in that time.......

Will get a couple of oils changes in quick succession once running again.

Cheers

Colin

Archived