Spiti1976

Hi,
my Vitesse is a bit noisy.
I suspect a cam follower is gone

Can i retrieve them with the head in place? Or do I have to remove the head.

Furthermore, does anyone has experience with PTFE coating (Kexel) of the cam follower?

And where to buy new cam follower?

Well, a lot of questions.....

I will appreciate any advice

Alex

It is a kind of knock
it isn't changing with the oil temperature much, it is getting slightly better when the engine is warm.
It sounds as if it is coming from the camshaft near 1st or 2nd cylinder
clearance of rockers is set, rockers and shaft are new

not a big deal but annoying

I dont think it is a big end bearing, cause it doesn't change with load.

I think you'll have to remove the head to get the cam followers out. If any of the followers are damaged, I'd recommend also removing the camshaft, as a bad follower will probably have eaten its cam lobe as well.

Mal may be on to something with the camshaft end float as well. The camshaft's fore-aft position is determined by the semi-circular locating plate behind the cam sprocket. The oil pump places a load on the camshaft and tries to push it. I'm not sure if it pushes it forwards or back? Either way, too much movement will produce unhappy noises.

Thanks for your replies...

Yes you have to remove the head to replace the cam followers, I checked it at a spare engine.

Well, I will start to measure if all lobes of the cam have still the same height. This will give me an indicator if a cam follower and the cam are gone.

I will also check longitudinal play of the cam and install a duplex chain while the cover is open.

Hopefully the problem is solved then... but I think eventually I will end up with replacing the cam stuff as well :-/

A characteristic of the sound due to camshaft end play I forgot to mention Spiti1976, is that it can be rather irregular and can come and go. Not regular like a bearing.
Actually it was this feature that made me think it must be end play in a shaft and get me looking.

Have never seen any references to this being a source of engine noise, but I suspect there must be somewhere.