Oil Radiator Location

oldbanger

This is my first post and my first Spitfire!  - Hello !

Glad to have found an active group, and reading some of the recent posts about the crappy weather; its reassuring to discover that I’m not the only one too now have a four wheeled paddling pool parked outside my house.  

I bought the car last weekend and drove north through storms only to have the electrics die, then the car completely fail at some lights 2 miles from Bradford.   RAC were really helpful (even the second younger lad at Bradford who didn’t know what the car was - he just made a quick excuse and called for a flat bed LOL.  Breaking down at 00:45 – not nice, but I do feel I’ve been well and truly initiated back into the wounderful world of real motoring.)

I've got a question and having done a quick search of the forums I cant find the answer - so thought I'd take the plunge (mmm, maybe a bad choice of phrase me feels) and ask here - I’ve just bought a 13 grill oil radiator (and thermo + pipes) form Moss (Bradford) and wondering where is the best place within the engine bay to locate it (realizing it needs to be at the front).   Does anyone here have experience of these jobbies?

Your help and advice will be much appreciated.

You have a few options here - people have mounted them in front of or behind the regular radiator, next to it, or (as I did) below it.

If it helps, here's a link to my Flickr album which has a few shots of it in situ:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilandzoe/3039579426/in/set-72157609309762481/
Have a browse through, It might give you some ideas.

I was always a bit concerned that it was vunerable to stones etc in this position, but you could make up a guard I suppose - in fact I'd recommend it - you don't want to be losing all your oil through a punctured cooler!

Putting it down below the radiator between the Chassis legs is a bit expiosed and risky to being damaged. The intructions I got with my Mocol kit actually showed it installed in front of the water radioator whioch would be totally cr@p as GT6 cooling is bad enough at the best of times.

I fitted mine by the side of the radiator. Had to get a different length hose made up by Pirtek to do this but well worth the effort.

cook1e wrote:

I fitted mine by the side of the radiator. Had to get a different length hose made up by Pirtek to do this but well worth the effort.

...but cook1e's oil cooler is fitted to a GT6.  If you try fitting it in that position to a Spitfire (wider radiator mounting, set further back) it will foul the inner wheelarch as the bonnet is closed.

Mine is fitted where Monty69 suggests, forward of the radiator, hanging between the chassis rails, with the pipes passing through the bottom of the radiator mounting frame.

• 2 weeks later...

You've got it, you've fitted it, good for you.

But IMHO, you don't need a oil radiator, unless you are racing.

The most important thing for a road used oil rad is - have you fitted a thermostat?
If you haven't, then 95% of the time you will be running with oil far too cold, which is worse than too hot for a short time.

If you can add an oil temp guage - and chuck the rad if you never,, ever overheat!

John

A previous owner of one of my cars had welded small square brackets to the chassis rails just in front of and below the radiator; I was able to adapt these for hanging an oil cooler between the front rails but behind the curved front crossrail where it gets adequate airflow but is still protected against damage. I bought it years ago when the addition of another racey-looking thing to the engine seemed like a good idea, but to be honest as most posters here have said I'd probably do without these days.

Archived