HERALD 13/60 - OVERDRIVE GEARBOX

heralddolly

Hello.

Does anybody own a 13/60 with an overdrive gearbox fitted OR has anybody actually fitted an overdrive gearbox to one of these cars ??

I'd like to know if this option is possible and any advice / comments would be extremely helpful.

Currently looking to keep the standard 13/60 engine in at present; although may eventully change to 1500 running gear - a different ball game I appreciate.

Vehicle in question is a 1970 13/60 CV.

Many thanks. Richard.

hi, i have just done it to my 1360 cv and it is much better than i expected it to be, it is not hard all to do, box fits strait in if it is a 3rail with d type od, u will need a new propshaft vitt none od one,you will need to swap rear prop shaft flange for your 1360 one. lucus 6ra relay , you will need to bulid your wire loom. you will need to change gbox rubber mounting to spitt type. try get a box with solanoid and angled speedo drive, mgb, mg, angle speedo type work cheeper that triumph ones.

Totally agree with darr 1360ret, Both my cars (13/60est and J.C.Midge) have this set-up and both have the 1500 engine. You will only have to change the clutch driven plate to fit the 1500. The only mod I had to do to both cars was to space the engine further forward by about 10mm.

Thanks gents.

darr1360ret:

So my understanding is that you still have your 1300cc engine in place but now with a 3rail d type ??

marktheherald:

Whilst you have the 1500 engine + 3rail d type in your Herald ??

Have I got that right ??

Thanks. Richard.

3 wrote:
Hello.

Does anybody own a 13/60 with an overdrive gearbox fitted OR has anybody actually fitted an overdrive gearbox to one of these cars ??

I'd like to know if this option is possible and any advice / comments would be extremely helpful.

Currently looking to keep the standard 13/60 engine in at present; although may eventully change to 1500 running gear - a different ball game I appreciate.

Vehicle in question is a 1970 13/60 CV.

Many thanks. Richard.

been there done that! Best mod to do to a Herald. I fitted j type to my 13/60, used a Vittesse non Od shaft and spaced the engine forward 10mm. Had vibration probs with the prop shaft even after getting it balanced, in the end got a new shaft from CC. Herald's with an out of balance prop shafts are not very nice to drive...
Now have a 1500 engine in mine, in fact just driven down to london and back today, very useable on motorways and easy to keep up with the traffic,
Always felt it was shame Triumph did not make a 1500 OD herald but I guess it would have taken sales from the Dolly range..
Might have the Vittesse prop shaft if you want it... (I am in Cambridge).
Mike

Hello Mike.

That's a very kind offer and may well take you up on that. Thank you.

Of course now I'm thinking - why bother with an o/d gearbox on the 1300,,,,, just upgrade to 1500 c/w a j type o/d gearbox.

I had a 1200 CV a few years ago with a spare complete dolomite 1500 engine + j type ready to fit. Got rid of the car and thinking I would never need the running gear - then got rid of that  :B !!!!

Only good point is I kept the 3.89 diff which is ideal for the 1500 set-up and of course the o/d dolomites had the 3.89 diff. Simples  :) !!

It's not easy !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Richard.

Archived