Workshop manual measurements

dave mc

I have been trying to take some measurements to ensure I get my new front outriggers just right. Looking at the workshop manual, many measurements are taken from a line somewhere between the brackets for the suspension turrets.

However, either my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, or the measurement point referred to above isn't obvious, or both.

Could one of you experienced triumph gurus please assist and tell me where this measurement point is? I have established that the holes on the outriggers for the front bulkhead bolts should be about 29 inches apart and have tried the bulkhead on in place to make sure this is correct. I just want to be certain I have got it correct in the forwards/backwards plane. Such fun!

the drawing in the manual are hard to define , but from the back of the senior grey matter think its the back inside face of the front cross member,   there should be a hole in it to mark the car centre line  and also one on the diff crossmember  

but if im dreaming they will be in the wrong place,  its best to err on having the baulkhead more forward that rearward ,  as this gives you a door gap you can adjust.

Pete

Pete - thanks, I thought you might come along eventually :)

I expected it to be the point that you refer to, but it didn't tie in with any of the measurements, hence the post. It seemed like the correct measurement point was just behind the one you refer to, about half way along a small strengthening piece that (from memory) the turret bolts into.

In the end I cheated by tack welding them in place with the bulk head on. I took a length of string from the centre of the cross member to the  flange on the diff (with the flange hole vertically aligned) and took a right angle from the string to the outrigger mounting holes and ensured the gap was just over 29". Not ideal as it could still be out for and aft, but am just hoping that I'll be able to adjust the rear tub accordingly in due course.

Next problem awaits :)
Dave.

Archived