Ginetta G4/S4 Restoration

Jonny-Jimbo

As Mr Bonnett is keeping a build thread of his G15, and is nearing the end, in order to keep the tenuous Ginetta's-have-Triumph-Suspension-And-Steering link going, I may write about the G4 restoration, which also has said same set up at the front.

So, the first photo - the car pulled into the main workspace, sans bonnet after it's shunt 5/6... 7 years ago!

An update to bring us to date...

Boot lid, and fuel tank removed;

Rear lights removed, then rear body section removed. Was a pain in the backside, so this will have captive nuts to make it much easier.

Seats, harnesses removed and wiring unclipped...

Once unbolted I had my former event photographer round to help lift the tub off, which was nice and easy! We put it on my welding table, and then put on a shelf for future reference...

The front end is mostly Spitfire, but a bit of a mess - notice the steering rack mounts pushing themselves out as the rack clamps were put on the wrong way round.

Next steps;
Finish stripping the chassis down!

I've also just ordered £100 of various bits of box section etc for the chassis repairs that need doing, and adding some side impact bars in as well. They will tuck into the sheet steel side plates of the chassis. Although this will add a bit of weight, by changing from a standard car battery to a lightweight one, and remaking the fuel tank in aluminium rather than steel, it should almost balance out. It will also mean the chassis is much stiffer too.

Also bought a set of Q-Max cutters and dimple die flange tools.

Chassis in the middle of strip down now - most of the rear end is off too, so now there's just a few bits of brake line to remove, and the diff to come out, and engine and box, although that will come out as one assembly.

I've ordered a few meters of 3/8" silver steel so I can check if the suspension pick up points are still aligned or not (or if they ever were)... I was looking at ebay, £25 or so for a meter of silver steel... Coventry Grinders... £8 for 2 meters! Bargain!

Then the chassis will have all the required bits of welding before blasting and either powdercoating or epoxy primer and paint. I need to get costs for both so I can see which is the better value for money.

Hoiked the engine out last night as I had a spare few minutes - engine and box out in less than 20 minutes. Easy when you have nothing else in the way other than a brake reservoir. Now the engine and box is out I can remove the rest of the brake system, and then get the diff out.

The car was sold as having an LSD in it, although this turns out not to be true, or the LSD is broken...

Next challenge is deciding on getting the chassis blasted or dipped... then do I galvanise it or epoxy paint it etc...

What a wonderful little thing I wholeheartedly approve.

It's great fun to look at actually. Like one big 'guess the part' game. I spy Triumph front suspension and a Jaguar(?) IRS (early inboard brakes). Can't wait to see it come together.

Also, I get what you mean John. The first picture looks for all the world to be a corgi toy. Something to do with the smooth bodywork, the wheel proportions and the clouded windscreen...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lots has been done since I last posted - I was having trouble with the new forum, think I've almost sorted it, but for some reason my log in has reverted to a very old version from about 10 years ago!

Chassis back from blasters;

Image may contain: night

New bolt in cross brace made - this is to brace the rear wishbone pickups.

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

Reinforcing tubes added to the sides to add a bit of crash protection and help reduce flex along the length of the chassis.

Image may contain: indoor

Adding new wishbone pivots - these were then braced to the chassis too.

No automatic alt text available.

Dimple-died plate added to brace a folded section without adding excessive weight. I used to be able to brace the old part by hand, but now it's very, very stiff!

That's it stitched in.

Same type of bracing added to the rear end above the damper mounts. I also added lots of braces and pieces in in weak points of the chassis.

Now painted black and ready to reassemble!

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor