AlanChatterton

I thought I woould put this here as Triumph wiper motors I (assume) are pretty much the same.

So, wiper motor in the Stag. Would not turn off. Wipers just kept going until you killed the ignition. So, took it out, and cleaned the self park mechanism (plastic peg thingy on the bottom.)

Now, it self parks ok, but about 1 inch further up the screen than it should. Then, when you turn the wipers back on, they go down the correct park position then carry on sweeping.

I have tried adjusting the park switch, but any further along one way and the wipers don't stop at all, and the further out I have it,  the further up the screen they park.

So, is it buggered?
Or have I reassmebled it incorrectly?
Any ideas?

Alan, no idea about Stag wipers, but Herald/Vitesse/GT6 two speed wipers have a disc in the end cover that you can trun if you loosen the four screws that secure the cover.  The fdiosc carries the parking mechanism inside, so you can turn it to set the park position.  If this makes any sense to you, try it!

John

Is the movable disc type square by any chance? Sounds like the DR3 (IIRC) as fitted to early Minis, Minors and some other cars. The cover that can be turned has a wire soldered to it, can't remember what the inside looks like though right now.

The round body later type motors have a plastic plunger switch instead. Sounds like the switch wasn't being turned off when it should to park things, hence the motor kept running (unlike most of mine, where the self park doesn't work at all). Adjusting it has meant it now does switch off, but in the wrong place. Again, I can't remember what goes on in the wiper gearbox, but I'd try changing the switch (cheaper than a new motor) or throwing on a known good s/h motor (probably cheaper than a new switch). Or disconnecting the park feed and just switch the wipers off when they reach the right spot - Something I'm used to as I rarely have a working self park motor anyway!

You say they park too far up the screen. Is the arc that the wipers make correct (are the top & bottom positions of their swing right)? If not, do the wipers just need rotating on their spindles to the correct position.

Otherwise, show us a picture of the inside of your dead one and we will try to work it out from that.

There are several types of the 'square' motor, and they come in single speed - the most common - as fitted to Heralds etc, and two-speed - as fitted to the early GT6 etc.

Be aware that those fitted to the GT6 and Spitfire have a different number of teeth on the gear-wheel to those fitted to the Herald and Vitesse, due to the different windscreen size.  

If a Herald/Vitesse gear-wheel is used on a Spitfire/GT6, then no amount of adjustment will make them right.

You must use the correct gear-wheel on your car.

Unfortunately, I do not have a note of which one is used on which car!

Anyone?

Thanks all.

It is the right motor, and it has the right bits in it, it needs adjusting.

When it parks, it parks too far up the screen, when you turn the wipers back on they go down (to the correct park position) before starting the sweep.

Never used to do that, so I have put something together wrong...........just don't know what!!!

AlanChatterton wrote:

Never used to do that, so I have put something together wrong...........just don't know what!!!

In your first post it did indeed not do that - It didn't work at all! I suspect the switch is toast, and you've managed to squeeze a bit more life out of it after stripping and rebuilding the motor. Hence the parking but not quite in the right place.

I'd have to dig out a spare and take a look to be sure though, but it really does sound like a worn out parking switch to me, and you might save a lot of time and sanity if you just got hold of another one :)

Archived