Gearbox shot. Will a 1500 box fit a 1300mk4

peterg1

My gearbox is in for repair as it was very noisy and 4th difficult to select. Had a call its morning with bad news, main shaft worn, layshaft worn, rear gear chunk missing, 3 synchro rings shot, bearing set required amongst other things. Advice was to buy a recon box as it would work out cheaper at £450 from either Rimmers or Paddocks, but neither have any available.

Quiller are a few days tunaround but Aron £490 plus postage .... Far too costly.

So after looking at the usual sites there are hardly any 1300 3 rail boxes around. But plenty of 1500 boxes. Would a 1500 box fit, I realise I may have to change the cluchplate, or is there more to it??

You'll need a fine spline clutch plate and the matching 1500 propshaft.  Make sure the 1500 box comes with matching gearlever too. Not sure whether the mounts are different. Speedo calibration is probably going to be affected..... not sure whether the cable will fit.

Nick

Quoted from peterg1-

My gearbox is in for repair as it was very noisy and 4th difficult to select. Had a call its morning with bad news, main shaft worn, layshaft worn, rear gear chunk missing, 3 synchro rings shot, bearing set required amongst other things. Advice was to buy a recon box as it would work out cheaper at £450 from either Rimmers or Paddocks, but neither have any available.

Quiller are a few days tunaround but Aron £490 plus postage .... Far too costly.

So after looking at the usual sites there are hardly any 1300 3 rail boxes around. But plenty of 1500 boxes. Would a 1500 box fit, I realise I may have to change the cluchplate, or is there more to it??

Have you tried TD Fitchett and Canley?

Thanks for replies.

Fitchett want £350 plus postage.

The gearbox is currently in a local gearbox centre and the chap knows these gearboxes inside out.. Great.

Mainshaft tip worn, laygear worn, bearings shot, so I have taken a gamble on obtaining a second hand box which he is going to strip. Hopefully enough decent parts with a new bearing/syncro kitt tomake one decent box.