Acclaim Starter Motor

Doug Owen

Help!,Help!,: Any ideas on removal of the above, whilst "in the car", The top bolt, I have no problems with, however, the lower, or bottom stud, presents quite a serious problem.  This is hidden away below the starter and solenoid and is impossible to see; I have tried by removing the O/s front wheel, but to no avail.  Possibly someone out there is aware of a special tool that is used for the removal of the nut on this stud, I am thinking on the lines of a very special tool, probably a 14mm thin walled (very), socket on a flexible drive, but not a knuckle drive.
Any Offers? much appreciated, Doug Owen. >bournvillenutcase@tiscali.co.uk<

Unfortunately the Haynes isn't of much help. I think they did it with the engine out of the car. I once tried to remove Becky's starter motor because I thought I had to jam the flywheel so's I could remove the crankshaft pulley. It turned out that I didn't need to remove the starter which was just as well because the bottom bolt is awkward to get to. I'm sorry I can't be of much help.

Over to you Barry!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah!
the culprit is that the bolt goes through the gearbox and backplate to the engine mount. removing the carbs will give you a better view, but you can attack it form a pit, or with well developed manual dexterity.
good luck
b

I manged to do it last night as I made a start on removing Becky's gearbox. One thing that's not mentioned in Haynes is that the job is easier if the air cleaner is removed. I second Barry's suggestion of removing the carbs but it's not necessary. Just get your 14mm combination spanner (ring end) on the bolt and give it a good pull and it will eventually come undone. Becky fought me all they way on this one but I prevailed!

Eureka!!; I have at last been able to remove the starter on my Acclaim, thanks to Barry and "Toledo Man".  It wasn't too difficult, after first removing the air cleaner and carburettor
petrol feed pipe.  The problem had been ascerbated by someone in the past using a piece of 10mm threaded bar and two nuts/washers on the bottom fitting instead of whatever B.L. used originally! Anyway, many, many thanks Guys.  Doug Owen

Archived