Recon Starter Motor or High Torque

Wizardskills

At the weekend the starter motor in my GT6 broke. Power is getting to the motor and it will trun for half a turn (With no speed) and then stop. The battery is fine and turning the shaft through the batter is easy so I'm guessing it is new motor time.

Having looked online it appear high torque motors are around £160 whereas a recon original is about £30. Is the price difference worth it on the high torque one?

sounds like the brushes are worn out, they wear down and then you loss the contact to commutator hence no drive. Easy to get a new set of brushes and fit them. you might need to clean up the commutator. Or just go for a recon starter motor.
But I have recently replaced ,my starter motor for a high torque one, much easier to start and less drain on the battery.  I brought mine from a good source but found that the spacing was wrong and I need to turn up a spacer so that the pinion cleared the starter ring..... Nice but very expensive!

mike

I was in a similar predicament - except my starter motor, battery and alternator were nackered!

However, I opted for a recon starter motor from James Paddocks, there was only a £10 surcharge (which I'll get back once I send it back possibly with other bits and pieces or if I see James Paddock at a show) and the starter motor itself was something like £32.50.

Everything has worked ever since and I'm planning to spend the money saved on a other bits and pieces.

Some forum members have done a convert with a modern second hand pre-engaged starter motor on their Triumphs too which is another option.

Kind regards,

David

Archived