1500 starter motor

seth

Help!

I've been busy with a couple of mates today swapping the dead 1500 and 3 rail box in our Herald for a fresher 1500 and single rail/OD box.  As it was getting dark we were finally ready to try and fire it up and the starter motor just jammed everything solid.

On the old 1500 I had used a 1300 flywheel and small clutch.  To suit the new single rail box the "new" engine has the normal larger 1500 flywheel and clutch.  However I opted to re-fit the original inertia starter motor (for ease of wiring)  Does anyone know if this won't mesh properly with the 1500 flywheel and that I have to use the pre-engaged one?  The ienrtia starter worked fine on the engine we removed.

It got too dark to compare the various bits and it'll be a day or so before I can have a proper look so I just thought i'd try the communal knowledge pool!  :)

The inertia and pre engaged ring gears are different. The pre engaged type has a finer pitch ............smaller teeth, or more teeth on the flywheel if you like ! Obviously the gear on the appropriate starter matched it.

Theoretically, they should not mesh at all, but probably make a nice grunching noise, but if components are worn they might jam ?

Many thanks smallfry.  Having taken a look at the two starter motors this morning I can see the obvious size difference in gear/teeth.  It had just got too late and I was too tired to try and sort it out last night! 

So I'm obviously going to have to put the pre-engaged starter in.  Can anyone identify the A and B terminals in the photo for me?  I have a Dolly wiring diagram and the battery cable/brown feed wires obviously go to the large one at the top.  One of the small ones should be white/red from the ign switch and the other is White/Yellow feed to the coil.*

But which is which?  I've never had a car with a pre-engaged starter before ;)

(* I realise this is the 12V starting feed bypassing the ballast resistor and won't be using it anyway....)

Never mind, I had an hour free this afternoon and figured it by the trial and error method.  I tried the wire on A first and had no joy.  Put it on B and it worked!  :)  Turned the engine over with the coil lead off to get some oil pressure, reconnected the lead and it fired right up.  Looks like Katie will be mobile again tomorrow ;D

Archived