Dynamo to Alternator

paulhawkins33

Woth getting the proper brackets, nice and neat, but possible without. The dynamo wires plug straight into the alternator, and you can run an additional thick cable to the battery either direct or the solenoid connection.
At the control box joining the F (field) and WL (warning light) cables is easy enough, but joining the rest (except the black earth wire, just insulate the end) is not. You can cut the ends and twist AND solder together, but it is very tricky unless you have a very powerful soldering iron. I get round this problem by making a copper connecting strip. I use a short (30mm approx?) piece of copper water pipe, flatten it with a spacer so the 2 sides are a few mm apart and cut some tags for the existing spade connectors. Take 5 mins and then it is easy to reuse te dynamo (though why I will never know) and avoids cutting the wires etc. Obviously needs insulating.

I guess a fuseblock would work too, but I have not found anything suitable without lots of playing about and making link wires etc, which I think look shabby, and need high current connectors, not those silly blue crimp ones.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Archived