Electric fan - FAQ ?

franksm

Hi folks

Anyone know where there might be a write-up on fitting an electric fan kit to the rad ?

I want to see what's involved before springing the £95 with JamesPaddock for a kit. My viscous setup works fine, and I know it's perfectly fine, but... gotta ask anyway.

Does the system work of  thermostat ? If so, where does that go ?
Or is it just manual, from a switch on the dash ?

Ta

Frank
Ireland

Electric fan should be wired directrly to the battery "+" using a fairly thick wire and a separate fuse. The fuse may have to be as high as 50A as powerful el. fans (like 16" Kenlowe) draw quite high current, especially at start-up. Also, the fan's negative wire should be given a good ground (best would be the point where the battery negative strap connects to the inner wheel arch).

The triggering circuit (thermostat-relay) should be connected to ignition switched supply.

.....Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally I would take the supply to the fuse box, I think there are one or two spare fuses anyway- much tidier than using the battery terminal.  I used a supply that is not switched by hteh ignition because I wanted the fan to run after the ignition is switched off.  If you choose this option and have an alarm fitted you might have to take a supply from the fan to the alarm unit to prevent it from setting of the alarm.  A quick test with a voltmeter should soon identify a suitable fuse but if you want I can check which fuse I used.

The thermostat unit consists of an adjustable thermostat/relay unit, which I mounted to the nearside strut tower, connected to a copper pipe that runs to a copper bulb that is mounted in the radiator, inside the neck where the top hose is attached.  I also fitted a manual override switch inside the car.

I can post photos of the set up if required.

As for removing the engine driven fan, there is little point keeping it if an electric fan is fitted.

Cheers

Steve

Sorry guys but i beg to differ re the viscous fan. I would tend to leave it and have the engine cooled as it was originally meant to be and rely on the Kenlowe as an emergency back up. More importantly perhaps this allows the engine to warm up at the as designed rate. With only Kenlowe in circuit, temperature rise would be rapid until Kenlowe is asked to operate. If temperature rise is too rapid the Kenlowe may [/i]not cope.  At this time of year expecially the kenlowe never kicks in at all (depending on thermostate setting) and viscous does the job fine. Only my opinion but i feel more secure with it remaining in place.

I tend to agree with Bryan, as our Stag has a kenlowe fan and a viscous. I find that the viscous works fine, it does help circulate the air around the engine better, and stops it getting to hot under the bonnet. I would not have a kenlowe on its own as I do not think it is sufficeint. but thats just my opinion. The Kenlowe was on the stag when we brought her. I have it so that  on hot days it will kick in at a certain temperature, also it has an overide switch.
Our Herald had a kenlowe fan on its own and it had a tendancy to run hot. so we put the original fan back on and it put the temperature back to normal, no probs after that.

Tina

Thanks Tina for the back up.
Steve, i think you are missing my point. We are talking Stag engines here and whether a Kenlowe fan on it's own is sufficient.  I know that a car running warm is more efficient but to see a Stag engine warming up rapidly and hoping the Kenlowe kicks in anytime soon to cool her down is not my idea of having fun - unless you are really brave like wakaday suggests above. I agree with Tina, i don't think the Kenlowe on it's own is sufficient and wouldn't recommend removing it. Just an opinion.

Bryan

No prob, but I wouldn't go to the expense etc of fitting a Kenlowe when the standard viscous fan on its own is sufficient (as long as everything else is in order of course...)

I would not be quite as brave as wakaday though - I would fit a manual override switch in case the thermostat fails!

Tina

You're lucky that a Kenlowe was already fitted to your car, I would keep it there too!
Odd that the Herald ran hot with only a Kenlowe.  Assuming the radiator was not clogged up inside, or anything else was at fault, perhaps the fan was not correct for a Herald.  It's not unknown for packages to be incorrectly labelled.

Cheers

Steve

Archived