JAMWEEKS

Air in the system is a possibility but also check carefully each and ever flexible hose - if possible and safe have someone else operate the brakes whilst you look at the hoses. You could have  adodgy master cylinder too - what's the history of the brakes, did you do anything to them to induce the spingy pedal or have they just gone like that over time?

Have been exactly here!  It was the front hoses.  You can check this by clamping them off at the chassis end (molegrips + a piece of cardbord).  On mine you could vary the number of pumps needed to get a pedal by moving the clamps along the hoses.  Would suggest changing all the hoses while you're at it - consider an Aeroquip or Goodridge kit even.

Good luck!

Clamping the hoses off can help to narrow the search area down. If they are all clamped and still have a bad pedal could be the master cyclinder or you still have air in the system. If the pedal is then OK take one off at a time to show which wheel is causing the problem. Not sure what the wheel cylinders on a herald look like but have seen on a few strange things on land rovers like the bleed hole not a the top of the cylinder so how do you get the air out? also they have a sperate seal and plunger and i've seem air between there! not sure if that will help but it might give you some ideas.

Good luck, and be

Steve

I have occasionally found drum braked Heralds which, for some inexplicable reason, have nearly impossible to bleed brakes. One car in particular had a soft pedal until any hose was clamped, this gave a rock hard pedal whichever hose was clamped!
I would suggest renewing the flexible hoses if there is any doubt about their condition. For bleeding purposes it is good practice to adjust brakes so that they are all locked solid, ie no mechanical play to be taken up by hydraulic pressure. I have gone a stage further on occasion, removing the drums and shoes, then wiring up each cylinder so that the piston is fully retracted in the bore. This minimises the scope for air bubbles to remain within the cylinder. It's not normally necessary, but on those occasional awkward cars it is a help.
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived