Claire Usher

Hi All,

apologies first of all, I dont own a Triumph - but I am a bit of a self confessed petrol head and my motoring collection includes a Sunbeam Rapier and a DeLorean  :)

I'd like some advice please, as it would appear that my 1968 Rapier Fastback shares the front brakes (Lockheed) with the Triumph 2000........... I ordered some new pads from Speedyspares and the box they came in (complete with fitting kit) said Triumph 2000 on it - but they are definately the same size as the ones on my Rapier.

Trouble is, my calipers are buggered, and I'm having no luck finding them for Sunbeam/Rootes/Hillman when I search t'internet and Ebay.  I can get caliper repair kits, but to be honest, I cant be arsed to take the things apart and fit new seals, I'd rather just buy new calipers - they are seized fast and I dont think I'd have much luck getting them apart even if I tried  :(

I've attached a photo of my calipers - can anyone on here enlighten me as to whether they are the same as the Triumph 2000 and where I can get some from?  There are a few numbers on there, one appears to say 'Lockheed 112018' (or it could be 112918, its not very clear), and another says 'Lockheed OA2179?' - the last character I cant make out as its blended into the casting   :-/

Cheers in advance,

Claire

The pads are certainly the same pattern as the Mk1 Triumph 2000 design. The calipers are similar to the pair of new originals in front of me. I would need to see the position of the hose fitting and nipple to be more certain. Any more pictures?
My calipers have Lockheed 112018 on the smaller castings. The larger casting has the number 3244579C (the letter C is unclear and may be another character) on the LH caliper. The RH caliper has 324457**, the last two characters being completely indistinct.
Even if the numbers don't entirely match, yur calipers may still be Triumph types. Standard Triumph used at least three different variants of Lockheed caliper on the Mk1, I have found no meaningful differences to prevent the types being interchanged.
Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks guys - Bill that info is very useful - I'll go and try and take some better pictures of the calipers now to see if that helps.

Are you selling a pair?  If so, how much?  Whereabouts are you based, I might be able to collect rather then having to fork out for postage :)

Thanks again,

The following people have an interesting website where you can search their impressive catalogue for older and rare vehicles - Brakeparts International: www.brakeparts.co.uk/

I've had a quick look and they list different part numbers for the calipers for your Rapier and the Triumph 2000.  However these seem to be for the late mk1 and mk2, so it's possible that early Mk1 caliper would fit your car.

If you are happy to invest a bit more cash on your brakes their recon Rapier calipers are about £50 each.  You could probably save a few quid if you can get a hold of new pistons and seal kits.  Martin from Car Parts Direct (0870 977 9666) would be worth phoning for these.  But if you don't fancy that I can confirm service, prices and products from Brakeparts International are good.  I got a pair of calipers for a Mk1 Transit commercial and these were A1.

Hiya,

cheers for that, will give them a go.  £50 a side isnt bad I spose, I paid £39.50 for one on my Cavalier last year.  I might pop in and see my local 'old fashioned motor factor's' in Belper cos if I can give him the part numbers, he might be able to order them in for me and save me postage/petrol costs.

My Rapier is of 1968 vintage (the Fastback's came out in October '67) - is that about the same time that the 2000 came out?  I seem to remember a mate of my dad's having a G reg 2000 estate in the late 1970's .......... ah, happy days......... :)

Thanks again, you've all been really helpful! :)

I can't get photographs of my calipers tonight, but I have checked and there are a few differences. Your Rapier caliper has the hose connection angled upwards in the direction of the caliper mounting holes. The Mk1 2000 caliper has the hose connection angled up and away from the mountings. Best to get the right ones, these may work but why take the chance? There was probably a good reason for the differnet hose angle, probably to ensure clearance of the hose relative to suspension components.
Cheers,
Bill.

cheers everyone, you've all been so helpful.

In case you're wondering why I'm conversing with you all about this rather then the Rapier forum, lets just say theres more life in a slice of ham then there is on the Rapier forum.........  I posted a question about my calipers on there well over a week ago, and...........zilch, didly squat, nothing - no one's even read it!!  ::)

Anyway, like I said, I really appreciate all your help and advice........who knows, I might even add that GT6 I've always fancied to the fleet one day  ;)

Might even bump into some of you at a car show or two this year (well not literally of course!), look out for a bright blue Rapier (WGC265F) or a DeLorean DMC12 (VUR594W).

Cheers guys!!

Archived