Herald Brake Caliper Piston Dust Cover

all mod cons

Hi All,
I've just had a to change the pistons in one of the brake calipers on my 1965 Herald.
The kit contained a rubber seal for the caliper and also the expandable dust covers that fit into the groove on the piston and the groove on the caliper.

I can fit this cover onto the piston end but am really struggling to fit it at the caliper end, stretching it enough to get it to lock into the groove on the caliper.

Has anyone done this ? Do you have any hints on the best way to get the cover to fit?
Thanks,

I did this on my Type 12 calipers last Winter. If I remember I think one side is slightly larger than the other, and the larger being for the caliper groove. I used a couple of small jewelers flat blade screw drivers to help get them on.....technique bit similar to putting the outer tyre back on a bicycle wheel.

Don't tear it! Get the calliper end fitted first then gently lever the top lip out around the piston. Use lots of brake fluid as lubrication, and it will go eventually. I use long matchsticks or coffee stirrers (Thanks Starbucks!) to stretch it out round, screwdrivers may puncture it. Be prepared for a lot of restarts!

Archived