Rotoflex bearing shims

71GT6

Hi everyone.  Brand new to this forum and glad to have found it.  I'm in Kokomo, Indiana.  I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford in '75/'76.  Even though it's been a long time I would still like to say "thanks" to all the fine people I met and the graciousness that we were treated.   Anyway... I have my third GT6, some say brain damage, but I still love the cars.  This is the first time I am rebuilding from the tires up.  I finally understand the method of measurement, thanks to the great photos and info posted here, but am interested in where anyone has located shims.  I am having a friend machine some larger spacers to eliminate the need for shims, but am interested in everyones feedback on if this method is an ok route to take, or if I should search out the shims to achieve the subscribed .002-.005 clearance.  Thanks to all.  Cheers.

Hi there

I gave up looking for suppliers of shims, and in the end went to a local engineers who supplied me with a few small off cuts of sheet in various thicknesses. I then glued the sheet to a block of wood and cut the centres out with the correct size whole saw, leaving enough around the edge to carefully cut out with tin snips. A pain in the A** job, and probably a supply of shims out there somewhere, but I needed the car on the road fast. In the process I had stripped down numerous roto shafts looking for shims to re-use, I found loads of spacers but only one shim! obviously garages of the time didn't go to the trouble of setting the correct end float or where just lucky. Good luck

Mark

think you will find the shims that shim the pinnion are same hole size.

failing that, its so so easy just to punch them oot.
that is, if you got the right size punches.

ohhhh, just seen link above,     think I,ll start selling em,  30 secs to make them up,!!!
as just made a few for a diff. thats 30 secs tops too.

I got one like this, with a central spike,to alighn the two aifs

but ordinary puches will doo, just make sure the cutting edge is sharp,
use shim steel,  it mat bend a little, but will flatten back out, if you squash it.

http://uk.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/42355600.jpg

Archived