'rotoflex bearings shims'

whisper

Hi

last year I built up some TLD sliding spline shafts that use the triumph bearing and need the end float setting same as the rotoflex. I rang around and couldn't find a supply of shims. I stripped down 3 sets of rotoflex shafts in the hope of finding some shims that I could re-use. I only found one useable, most of the shafts had only spacers fitted with no shims. In the end I went to an old engineering firm probably pre war. An old gent cut me off a small strip of thin still sheet I think it was a few thou thick, he had a few different thickness and I made my shims up from that. Fiddly, but doable. See pic

Hi
I used a dial gauge to measure the endfloat on the bench, but you could use the same tool whilst the shaft is still on the car. There is triumph special tool that is shown in the workshop manual. If you need to replace the wheel bearing, I wouldn't just use the spacer, once yours are stripped down you may well find shims fitted replace the bearing and check the end float, it maybe within tolerance.  The wheel nut is torqued up very tight and you must not load the bearing. The reason I found very few shims on the ones I stripped was probably that the endloat was never set whenever they where rebuilt manny moons ago.

Mark  

The majority of the adjustment should be made by using the right size spacer to begin with - shims intended for fine tuning only.

Without the special tools you'll have to dismantle and reassemble at least once.  DTI is a big help.  Can't really be done on the car as the rotoflex will be pushing against you.  Might be possible with sliding spline shaft of CVs but still best one on the bench IMO.

Nick

whisper wrote:
Hi guys.
Has any one reset the end float  on the rear bearings on a vitesse with Rotoflex suspension with out any special tooling if so how  ,did you make the shims please advise
regards

Hopefully this helps. Starts half way down the page.

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1229790537/s-150/

Roy

Archived