Converting from Wire Wheels

garyf

I'm going to fit standard 4.5J Steel rims to my TR which is currently fitted with 60 Spoke Knock on type Wires.

If I remove the Bolt on Splined Hubs can I simply bolt on my Steel rims?

According to the Parts Book the Wheel Studs and front hubs are different part numbers for Wire and Steel wheels so I'm thinking it's not a straight forward swop?

The splines hubs have very short studs so that they don't foul the wheel, these will be too short to use with normal wheels (well safely anyway) - its easy to knock the old studs out, and pull the new ones in using a wheel nut - you don't even have to remove the wheel hubs

Quoted from garyf
Mike

I thought I would have to change the Wheel studs, this isn't a major expense?

What about the front Hubs, are they different between Wires and Steel Rims, according to the TR5 Parts book they are but I can't think why?

I haven't ever seen any different front hubs - maybe its a part number with fitted wire wheel studs ?  the spline adapter always bolts on to front and rear hubs/axles, and when you convert to wire wheels from standard you simply cut the studs down and then bolt the splined adapters on - unbolt the adapter and try fitting a wheel apart from short studs I see no reason why it won't fit