Removing crankshaft pulley and damper

Einar

I’m about to remove the crankshaft pulley and damper – item 10 in the below drawing. The fan and item 11 is already removed. The pulley sits pretty well. So, before I start using power: Is it just to slide it of – fiddle and be patient, or is any special caution needed ……?

I'm not sure what you mean by damper but the pulley just slides off - in theory at least. The pulley is held in alignment via a woodruff key (item 7 in your diagram) so the pulley can't be turned, it's just a straight pull to remove it. It can be a tight fit, especially if it's been there for years, so try tapping it with a soft mallet while using a lever but be VERY careful not to break or buckle it.

Steve,
The Triumph sixes have a damper pully, to suppress crankshaft vibrations.   The pulley has inner and outer sections, joined by a thin rim of rubber, like a tyre on a wheel, with a steel outer skin.   The

Einar,
It is a sliding fit,    There is a Woodruff key (No.7) in a slot in the crankshaft, that engages in another in the pulley, that you must not lose. It's small but not tiny!  The other parts on the crank nose are inside the timing cover.

But if it hasn't be removed since the engine was first built it may be very tight on the shaft! Do not be tempted to lever on the cover, it's not strong enough!   You should use a sprocket puller, like this:

Archived