Crank fan balance

mazfg

After taking my fan off the crank I noticed to different sized half moon pieces on the front face of the fan below the tab washers. Looking at item 18 here: http://www.canleyclassics.com/images/diagrams/vitesse_plate_c.jpg
It says its a       107858      PIECE - BALANCE CRANK FAN on Canleys site.

Now thinking should I have remembered how these go on the fan????? How important are they..?? Why do I have one piece bigger than the other... Canleys only show one type?

Thanks

Ahh, on closer inspection, one balance piece can only go in one position, the other though is adjustable. This adjustable piece has a hole in it which lines up with a hole in the front of the mounting face on the fan and then this hole line up with another on the crank pulley......phew....Balance restored.....

• 2 months later...

Making good progres on re-assembly at the moment...although now my problem is that the replacement yellow fan i bought seems to stick out too much, not allowing the radiator to go in..?  Did think about reversing it, so it fits over the crank pulley...makes it nearer to the fan belt, but looks ok....... any advice on this or will it be fine? It just looks back to front that's all....I guess what I'm saying is does the fan slip over the crank pulley rather than sit on it face to face?

I bought this one :

nang wrote:
If you reverse the fan won't the airflow be the wrong way around? (joytears)
Tony.

No, the blades still sit the same way....

I've fitted it now anyway and it can only go that way else there would be no room. It's tight as it is and a bit of manipulation was required to get the radiator down and fixed!