Dave,
What about the valve springs?
Your story sounds awfully like the engine that was in SofS when I bought it.The PO had fitted extra-strong springs, I presume to stop valve bounce, (Don't - double springs perfectly adequate)  but hadn't run it - the oil was golden.
When I ran it, it kept on opening up the valve gaps, because the springs were so strong that the camshaft journals were eating the block!
They eroded so much that the block was scrap - no possibility of fitting cam bearings.

John

John
    I've no idea what springs are fitted but I would guess there standard, if they were uprated I think the chap I got the engine from would have said. It's still on standard seats, so I wouldn't have thought you'd fit super springs without having new seats and other work done.
I've just had a little run about and tickover is now ok(ish),it seems nice and quiet and quite responsive.
I'm hoping that after going throught a second rebuild after issues were discovered after the first one that things had to "settle down" a bit

During the war.............No, but when my Mum was running her 2000 (a few years ago 😀) it went through a stage of regular tappet adjustment phase, after further investigation it was discovered that the oil feed to the rocker pedestal was completely blocked.
Just a thought, though I know you have a reconditioned engine, it mostly wont be that 🙂