Noisy Engine on Sprint

thebrookster

Hi Guys, question for you!

The Sprint that was collected back in February has finally seen some work today, and for the first time in approx five years I fired her up with little difficulty!!!

However, the egine does not sound overly healthy, it is making a loud tapping noise which is at the same speed as the engine. Now I know this is not a brilliant description, so I have taken a video of it starting and running so you can appreciate it :)  Now please accept my apologies for the quality, this was taken with my phone, however the sounds seems to come through alright, which is the important bit.

http://youtu.be/4T6i-iBfD40

My thoughts so far are along the line of tappets, what do you think? Other than the noise, she seems to run fine, comes up to temp, no missfiring etc etc.

Cheers,

Phil

P.S. God she does sound good though!! Just had to add that bit in ;D

No idea on exhaust, other than the rear two boxes are Stainless Steel. The rest is definitely mild steel I reckon, however if it is an aftermarket or not I do not know!!

The noise is a very definite 'TAP' kinda noise, that I can say. What kind of work is involved in doing big ends? Am I looking at an engine out job or can it be done in situ? I only ask because I have just started an engine rebuild on my Spitfire, and I am hoping it is nice and easy  8)

hi,
do you know if it has had the head gasket replaced before it was taken off the road? i had a stag with almost the same noise when i bought it thought same as you but after having timing chains and all new cam followers and shims it was still the same,when the heads came off it was found that the gasket was not lined up and clamped when the head went back on and the tapping was the piston catching it.

cheers steve.

Steve, I had not even thought of that!! Oddly enough, in the boot of the sprint is a full engine gasket set, I have wondered if that could be a message...............

However I do like Jon's idea, sounds extremely plausible! Having literally just found vitessesteve's website with a copy of the dolly sprint Repair Operation Manual, I suddenly realised that this is am OHC engine!! As you may well guess, I know next to nothing about this range of Triumph cars and engines, although I suspect that this may well change  :-/

I think I shall take a break from my Spitfire tomorrow and go and have a day with the Dolly, assuming the weather is conducive. I flat refuse to work in anything other than sun on this car, as it is not mine, and I really do not have the time just now to play with it, Ahh well, I shall just have to prove yet again that multi-tasking is not just a women's prerogative!

Well, everything seems to be fine on the valve front, and when listening to the noise again today I noted that it is actually double the cam speed, suggesting something lower down. Still reckon it sounds wrong for big ends, much to tappy, whilst big ends I thought sounds more knocky, if that makes any sense!

Anyway, whilst having a gander at the timing sprocket at the top, seeing as I had the rocker cover off, I noticed a bracket with a hole in it sitting out of line with the threaded spindle coming out of the sprocket. Did not think anything off it until I had put it all back together, and was perusing the manual, when I noticed that in a picture in the manual it shows the bracket fitting over the threaded spindle, and held in place with a nut............

I suspect I may well have found the issue! So now, whilst the weather is being so good to us I am about to strip the timing covers off, and see if something can be done to rectify this. Fingers crossed hey!!

The bracket is there to hold the sprocket and hence timing chain in place whilst work is done on the cylinder head.

It should not be bolted up during normal engine running.

But if it's too close it may be knocking against the sprocket while the engine is running and thetrefore causing the noise - it would be unusual though :-/

Archived