What is in the engine

thescrapman

I am after tapping the knowledge of the collective.

I have acquired an TR engine (thanks Doug :-) )

Engine number is CC4477E

Cross ref thingy says

TR250               CD....#%        ....CC  CC...E  CD      CD
TR6 (carb)          CC/CF           ....CF  CC/CF   CD/C/F  CD

Which seems to say it is a TR250 engine. Am I right? Don't you just love Triumph for using the same Engine numbers for different models... :-)

It has a long back crank. And no block rib under the manifolds, so similar to a Mk1 Pi.

What compression would it be? And what cam would it have? Head looks normal, but it might be "high port". Is that easy to spot?

I am tempted to clean it up and stick it in my Mk1 if it seems OK, buy me a bit more time to rebuild the original engine.

Cheers

Colin

Mk1 PI engine number starts CR.  This re-use of the C prefix in the TR6 has caught out at least one 'expert' when I was trying to source a replacement crank for the Mk1 PI estate.

If it is TR250 with the long back crank it is highly unlikely that it is cross drilled - I have a non cross drilled long back crank from a TR250 in my possession and because of their specification tend to have a softer life than PI engines.

MUT

1526 wrote:
Mk1 PI engine number starts CR.  This re-use of the C prefix in the TR6 has caught out at least one 'expert' when I was trying to source a replacement crank for the Mk1 PI estate.

If it is TR250 with the long back crank it is highly unlikely that it is cross drilled - I have a non cross drilled long back crank from a TR250 in my possession and because of their specification tend to have a softer life than PI engines.

MUT

Definatelty not cross-drilled, I wouldn't have got it otherwise!

Cheers

Will see if I can measure what cam is in it.

It ended it's previous life in a saloon, as it has a saloon front plate fitted.

Apparently it looks very clean inside the sump, so will have a quick nose before sealing it up for temporary storage.

The oil from the sump, luckily, is all over the garage it came from, all over Mikes trailer, and on the M25.... :-)