mowerman

Engine removal on the Vitesse is well under way, next job is to strip it down and rebuild it. Whilst in pieces I would like to have the crank etc balanced, is it also worth lightening the flywheel at the same time, if so by how much? I don`t want a "screamer" but would like to release a little more power. Obviously I realise other mods would be involved, my ideas are to balance and lighten, blueprint, convert to unleaded etc. I don`t want to change carbs but just re-jet the 150CD`s to suit. Would it also be of benefit to fit a slightly more wild cam? Any suggestions welcomed.

Mowerman.

Ps; does anyone have a copy of the Kastner book for sale, Jason? 

balancing is well worth doing as it is fairly cheap and can improve smoothness. Lightening th flywheel can improve pickup, but neither will have any effect on power at all. Conventional wisdom for improvements starts with improved manifold (6-3-1) and better exhaust, free flow airfilters.
after that porting the heads and bigger valves and fast road cams, carbs too. Try chris wittor's site, he talks some sense! he also does a few mild cams, but to be honest the std vitesse mk2 cam is ok for a roadcar, any hotter can make it lumpy and harder to drive, especially in town.
In the end it comes down to what you want to achieve, and BUDGET.
If you want a more driveble car, how about a 2.5? big difference! Try one and see!
Cheers
Clive

Archived