mowerman

After the woes of the oil pressure I have decided to remove the engine and rebuild it. Simple question to start ( I`m sure ther`ll be others later); is it easier to remove the engine with the bonnet off and are there any issues with aligning the bonnet when outting it back on? Two questions really but.......

Thanks.

although i've never removed the engine  :B i imagine it'll make it much easier to reach around the engine as the bonnet won't be in the way. Also you won't have any problems hitting your head on the bonnet/wheel arch!!!, or is that just me  :-/ :-/

Depends what lifting arrangements you have, but on the whole I would say much easier with the bonnet OFF.  Provided you don't disturb the longitudinal adjusting stays (and you shouldn't need too), bonnet adjustment will not be affected.

'Tis a heavy old lump mind (some say boat-anchor....) and one advantage of taking the bonnet is that you don't have to lift it very high.

If you have a decent hoist/crane you may find it easier to pull the box out with it which will make it alot easier to get at Mr Bellhousing bolt and his 57 cousins...

Nick

I agree with "bonnet off" for engine removal. If you've nothing but a fixed hoist, you can begin the lifting process and then simply "back" the car away from the hanging engine.

And yes, I also agree that it's probably easier to disconnect the propeller shaft and rear mounts (and remove the gearshift extension) and pull engine and gearbox as a unit.

Archived