cnicholson

having taken of the wings on my tr6, I have some interesting problems all of which are ok. However I am considering getting the major panels acid dipped has anyone ever done this and how much did it cost? or should I just get them shot blasted?

thoughts and opinions and recommendations for the Bristol area welcomed....

found a really good supplier for paint stripper on ebay the shop is called Car Spares (no connection) bought 3 liters of industrial strength paint stripper for £21 which is a fraction of the cost of nitromors.

I have decided to paint strip the outer section and engine bay, then shot blast the rusty parts. then see whets left ........

Apparently acid dipping can ruin your tub due to the various nooks and crannies that ooze out acid long after its treated, making it nearly impossible to paint again.

Most of the 'better' acid dip treatments do not have residue dripping from seams after the process. The excess does drip out fairly rapidly, any small amounts left in the seams get 'used up' by the chemical process so shouldn't cause a nuisance. What you do get is a clean seam which is not possible with grit blasting.

Be very careful shot blasting panels - you may distort them. Soda blasting is far better from this point.

Paint stripping works well. Another good stripper on e-bay is Synstrip PS50 from StarChem - apprx £26/5Lts. removes anything including skin!!!.

Roger