Tim Hunt

I have a small problem on my car. The rear edge of the driver’s door is slightly fouling the restraint device on the 'B' post. I have nice even door gaps which would not really be compromised if I could just move the door forward by, say, 1/16”. I can see that doing this would not create a foul condition between the front wing and the door leading edge.

My question – Is there provision for adjustment of the door hinges on the ‘A’ post? If so, and this is currently all taken up. can I simply slightly enlarge the holes in the ‘A’ post to give me a fraction more forward adjustment for the door?

Tim

Tim,

I think the 4a doors are similar to those on my 5. if so there may be a gasket between the hinge and the door - removal should give you a few thou, secondly the hinges into the A posts do have caged captive nuts which allow adjustment

mikew wrote:
Tim,

I think the 4a doors are similar to those on my 5. if so there may be a gasket between the hinge and the door - removal should give you a few thou, secondly the hinges into the A posts do have caged captive nuts which allow adjustment

Thanks Mike. I had looked at that but unfortunately there are no shims between hinges and door leading edge. I guess I have to look for some forward movement in the attachment to the 'A' post.

Tim

Hi Tim,
           each hinge has three screws into the 'A' post. There should be plenty of free play in this area to allow what you need.

However has the door always been tight/touching the 'B' post. If not why has it closed up.
It may be worth investigating the chassis for any problems.

Likewise if there is insufficient play at the '' post and the chassis etc is in good order then it may be possible to remove chassis to body shims to allow the rear body/'B' post to sit back a little.

Roger