driver door window

molly

the pane of glass has come out of the rubber seal which holds it into the mechanism.  I have tried to push it back in again but as soon as you wind down the window it pops out again. How do I fix it so that it doesn't come loose?

Thanks.

A bit of a fiddly job. You need to remove the metal channel from the winder mechanism, which is an AWKWARD job, needing the door trim panel off, and remove the 2 round clips which are on the outside (ie nearer the doorskin than to you!) It is very possible the channel is in bit/become a pile of rust etc, in which case you need a good replacement. To fit the glass in the channel does require a hefty whack with a large rubber mallet, otherwise it will just come out again. Best bet if you are unsure is to bo to a Triumph meeting and buy somebody who has done it a few times a beer or 2! Or instructions (better than mine) from a good restoration guide.
Cheers
Clive

Molly,
I used to run taxis (FX4s that is) and the windows were push down pull up - real state of the art. The handle was attatched to the glass by a piece of rubber being trapped between the aluminium handle and the glass. These frequently came off and were a pure bitch to get back on. I found that the most lasting method was to use a cutting of rubber inner tube over the edge of the glass and using a rubber mallet give the aluminium piece a good hammering on to the glass. Care obviously has to be taken but it will take a fair clout. The trick is to get it on there without actually stretching the rubber if possible. I assume that the attachment you are talking about is of the same type so might be worth a try. That said I know that there are guys on the forum that will have first hand experience of your problem.
Regards,
Dave.

I had a loose door glass on one of my Coupes, trying to pop the glass back into the bottom channel resulted in the window exploding in my hands, not fun.
I no longer fit the channel by the original method, I leave out the rubber and set the glass into the channel using sealant. Be sure to use one which goes-off fully, some are intended to form a skin and remain soft underneath.
Cheers,
Bill.

• 3 weeks later...

Quoted from cliftyhanger To fit the glass in the channel does require a hefty whack with a large rubber mallet, otherwise it will just come out again. Best bet if you are unsure is to bo to a Triumph meeting and buy somebody who has done it a few times a beer or 2!

Hmm, so get someone tanked up, give them a mallet and tell them to give a sheet of glass a whack?  Doesn't sound like a great idea to me! hehe

Archived